Re: sulking peas this year?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 22:44 »
Thanks mumps tog, maxibo and dd,
Great advice, going to sow some more!
Worth a go
 :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 06:13 »
Threw loads of peas in just under 2 weeks ago. No pre-soaking, just left to own devices after a post sowing watering. Noticed they were through yesterday, really nice & thickly.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

viettaclark

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 14:41 »
I sowed my sugarsnaps direct in March and then we had that really cold spell. A few struggled up but I resowed a couple of weeks ago like DD and they're all springing up.
Combination of a bit of heat and some rain....... :D

Christine

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 18:26 »
Most of the peas in seed trays germinated, and they survived planting out. They would grow better if the weather would have a week or so of late spring/early summer instead of mid March/mid June on alternate couple of days.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 14:49 »
Mixed results - the mangetout came out but out of 2 trays fo peas only one tray ahs germinated well. I keep them in a plastic greenhouse thingy....prob too cold.  am already planning my  next year if this rain continutes the same for the next couple of weeks

seaside

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 18:30 »
They're getting a head of steam up now, but not all, and sadly I think some of them have sulked too long. We will see.
Fortunately the pea window is quite large. I've learned a lot this year peawise, as I have never bothered to grow them before. I'm going to plant some more soon, and while there might be more pests about, I can control them better than the early season cold weather.
I now understand what is meant by a cool climate crop. What that really means is a traditional English Spring/Summer... not what we've just had. well, at least a coastal traditional Summer where temperatures rarely top 70 degrees in reality .... don't tell the tourists that.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 21:55 »
My peas seem to be constantly nibbled all over the leaves then eaten from the root up. I have sprayed with a pea weevil spray but the roblems still persiting!!! Maybe they r rotting??? U think
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 14:19 »
i have mixed luck this year   i ahve had one tray come up well and neady to  be planted out now and another tray where nothing has come out

its cnfusing ...what i i doing wrong

seaside

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 19:13 »
I must say, the best looking peas I've seen on our allotment site so far this year are my friend's, and he just threw them in at the right time, a la DD, and also under a bit of protection from marauding pests. I'm beginning to think he's right about not faffing with peas, and that perhaps the transplanting might have upset quite a few of the crop. Just wait for the right temperature would appear to be the answer, none of this gutter thing in a cold March.
I would dearly like more crops to succeed by just sowing out at the right time, life would be so much easier. Maybe it's not a good idea to transpose the brassica philosophy onto every other plant ... I'm even sowing in modules and transplanting beetroots and turnips. I don't think I've actually sown direct one of my 40 various vegetables this year. Almost all crops are looking promising this year, but a more confident and considered approach to sowing might be the answer next year. It might save a lot of work.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 19:15 by seaside »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 19:36 »
I must take a photo of my friend's peas a few plots away from me.

If you think I'm pea crazy.........

He's got 5 or six rows and makes the furrow for sowing in with a shovel, so it's a foot wide. He chucks them in really thickly and the rows are just a mass of green. No faffing for him!

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 19:40 »
Timing is everything.     If chuck them in and you get it right, they grow.
If you chuck them in and get it wrong as I did, they dont.    First time ever that CoE failed for me under the chuck them in method. :ohmy:

Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 19:43 »
I think I need a soil thermometer - I thought it was warm enough - but they didn't agree  ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 20:15 »
I don't know what's going on with my peas this year. The mange tout I sowed on 2nd April all germinated absolutely fine, but the Kelvedon Wonder I sowed the same weekend had zero germination, I suspect because they rotted. On 12th May I resowed them and they are up now, but with very patchy germination. I'm certain it's not mice because they've got wire mesh cages on them for protection. In any case, you can always tell when mice have been at them because they leave a perfect little hole everywhere they find a seed. They are in a raised bed in a different area, whereas the mange tout are just in a normal bed. Maybe the drainage is different or the soil is colder, or something. I've absolutely no idea. I think I'm going to top them up with a few more seeds chucked in this weekend, though it's really getting a bit late for them now.

xx
Everything Sulking....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

66 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 14:44
by chillimummy
xx
Sulking Garlic

Started by suedenim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 18:09
by Halteres
clip
Tomatos Sulking

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 21:04
by Dai
xx
Aubergines sulking

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 21:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 38 queries.