GETTING MY CHICKENS

• 5 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
GETTING MY CHICKENS
« on: December 20, 2007, 17:28 »
Hi all i shall be getting my chickens on saturday yipee cant wait  :D  :D and have been very busy fox proofing down the allotment ive put chicken wire round the house and run and have done the same round the fence of my allotment it was hard work and back breaking to but im sure it will be worth it just to keep them safe.
 the chickens im getting are silkies crossed with bantam i havent seen them yet but i cant wait till saturday to go and pick them up. they arent laying yet as they are to young is there any special food for them or will they be ok with pellets???
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Selkie

GETTING MY CHICKENS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 17:36 »
Please can you put photos when you get the hens? We love photos here :D

Have you put a 'roof' on your run to help keep foxes etc out or is it totally open? I am paranoid about foxes since reading about Babe's tragedy yesterday - and we are around the garden all day.

Good luck with your hens though :D

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
GETTING MY CHICKENS
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 18:12 »
How exciting! I would ask whoever you're getting the hens from what they have been used to eating and carry on with this for a while before gradually making any changes. You don't say what age they are - I'm assuming they're not chicks anymore so pellets should be fine (although some people give 'mash', a powdery form of the same thing). If they are on point of lay you will want to give them 'layers' pellets, otherwise 'growers' pellets. They will also need mixed grit/shell for grinding up their food and forming their own egg shells. I also give mine a handful of mixed corn each in the afternoons, and they will want some greens if they are not running on grass (you can send your weeds to the chickens instead :lol: )

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
GETTING MY CHICKENS
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 21:16 »
Are you travelling far to get them THWW?  I was hoping for a phone call from you, I'm only south of you and have 300 here, but as I'm not supposed to sell on here, I can only show peeps my blog and hint!!!!  :lol:

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
GETTING MY CHICKENS
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 12:35 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Are you travelling far to get them THWW?  I was hoping for a phone call from you, I'm only south of you and have 300 here, but as I'm not supposed to sell on here, I can only show peeps my blog and hint!!!!  :lol:

im going to see how i get on with my new hens and build a bigger hen house and then i WILL come and see you granny so i hadnt forgotten you happy crimbo and a rosey new year  xxx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
GETTING MY CHICKENS
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 17:15 »
lol.  Look forward to seeing you then!  You'll be okay, still 200 not accounted for yet!!!! lol

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Chickens.

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 10:13
by Foxy

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 30 queries.