when to put spuds in the ground?

• 111 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: when to put spuds in the ground?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49 »
Spuds in could wait any longer , i figure its colder in the shed than in the ground

Risky but could wait any longer

I take it you mean "couldn't"!

You'll probably be OK as the cold can't last much longer - but seed spuds can rot in the ground, but won't in the shed. They could sit there for another 2 or 3 months!

You have to learn patience and to roll with the weather in this game.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

al78

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30 »

You'll probably be OK as the cold can't last much longer

You reckon?

Depends what you mean by "much longer". It could potentially go on another month at least, but that would be highly unlikely. The current outlook is for it to become less cold than recently, but still below or well-below average temperatures for the next couple of weeks.

I'm just hoping that when this cold finally relents, the long daylight hours will give a boost to anything sown and they will make up for lost time.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43 »
This is the 1st year I’ve had a plot and "chitted" so many spuds in one go. Previous years I’ve had a few in bags.  However, The spuds have been chitting for ages, or so it seems and I would have panicked prior to this year.

Thanks you lot for keeping me grounded and not panicking.  Suppose I'm adjusting to the actual growing year and not what time tells me. :)

fatbelly

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32 »
I have checked the forecast & from Monday its 7c around here so my spuds will be going in. Work & other time pressures dictate.

Just checked the forecast again & on Tuesday its going to be 8c WOW! wheres my Mankini
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:37 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 13:08 »
don't forget the minus figures overnight!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 13:59 »
don't forget the minus figures overnight!

As in, don't Mankini at night...?  ;)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 07:21 »
I really wanted new potatoes for my daughters birthday party in June .... just listened and read long range weather predictions and its rubbish ... this cold weather is going to be replace by rain and wind!!!!!!!

Is it worth putting some potatoes in a grow sack in the GH?? Its unheated so I guess it wont be any better than outside?!!?
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 07:47 »
That's what I'm wondering Ally.  I'm going to cut some grow bags in half for my Charlottes, just wondering how many I can put to a half bag.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

candygold1

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 20:50 »
mine are in but we do have our own micro climate here on the island, still not ideal conditions but they will be fine, i think almost everyone on our allotment has at least a couple of rows in now.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05 »
Well I couldn't wait any longer!  I was very adventerous and put one singular medium sized Lady Crystal potato in a 10L pot (which I'm hoping is large enough) and have put it in the cold frame.  Will just have to wait and see.

The wait in excruciating - the new potatoes last year were so yummy and I can't wait to taste them again!

H :)

Growster...

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53 »
That's what I'm wondering Ally.  I'm going to cut some grow bags in half for my Charlottes, just wondering how many I can put to a half bag.  :)

Moggie, we've put three small Lady Cs in three separate pots about a foot across, and just covered them with fresh compost.

We'll be raising the levels as we go along, so I reckon half a growbag - presumably on end, will take about the same, as it is pretty narrow if turned sideways, or end on - if you see what I mean!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 18:54 »
Moggie, we've put three small Lady Cs in three separate pots about a foot across, and just covered them with fresh compost.
Thanks Growster!  :) 
Have decided I have enough 12" pots for a small crop so I'm going to try a tip from one of John's books.  I'm going to put 2 Charlottes in each and then lift them out of the pot and just take a few from each and see if that will keep them going for a while longer.   :)

Ema

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 18:38 »
I popped down to the plot yesterday evening now we have our evenings and a few had got their spuds in. On the way home the gritter lorry drove past!

I'm hoping to have enought dug this week for a roe or 2 over the weekend... will have a lot more rows to dig so all will not be lost of the weather suddenly changes

let's hope for a long blight free summer and autumn.

Manteiga

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 20:11 »
Put half of mine in today. I know it's a little early given the weather, but I find it hard enough to get the time to go down the plot as it is. They are under fleece, so I am hoping they survive the next few cold nights tucked up underground. Though it has been cold, it's mostly the wind that makes it so.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 20:45 »
I only grow  earlies .... so I have decided to put two potato grow bags (from T&M) in the GH (3 spuds in each)hopefully by the time I need to earth up it would have warmed up and dried out, so they can go outside.  Snow is being replaced by wind and rain here is the east mids :(    Saying that I've just finished digging the potato bed and it looks as if someone has emptied a few bags of shingle on it!! so it should drain well  ;)

xx
Spuds- How long will they keep in the ground?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 19:44
by Yorkie
xx
was getting the ground ready for the spuds

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2006, 08:29
by Oliveview
xx
How long will Spuds keep in the ground

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 12:36
by Sadgit
xx
Improving the ground for next years spuds

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 22:16
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.913 seconds with 30 queries.