Cristo garlic

• 12 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Cristo garlic
« on: April 16, 2013, 17:52 »
I planted 4 varieties of garlic last autumn, my old favourites Iberian Wight and Thermidrome, plus 2 new varieties, Cristo and Music. All of them are growing on well, but I'm puzzled by the Cristo. Almost every clove of Cristo has put up 2 or 3 shoots per clove. It can't be environmental because none of the other garlics have done it, so it must be related to the variety or the specific bulbs. Has anyone grown Cristo before? If so, did you get multiple shoots from them?

Trillium

Re: Cristo garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 20:55 »
Don't grow Cristo myself but I checked a number of garden bloggers who do and none show pix of multiple stems, only a single stem.

But, one blogger says his Cristo is more for foliage, so obviously he gets a lot. No idea why.

Lottiman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 21:52 »
Growing three variety's this time planted back in november of which Cristo is one of them,  first time I have grown it and they all appear to be single stems.  Marco my old favorite has come up trumps again only one failure out of forty cloves, but the white garlic only about half has come up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 21:53 by Lottiman »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24 »
Sounds like it's these particular bulbs then. Not sure how useful the crop will be from them, but I guess that's a good reason for doing a few different varieties.  I grew Marco for a couple of years but although they gave a decent crop I never seemed to get very big bulbs from them. Thermidrome and Iberian Wight are my current favourites because both have been giving me some very big bulbs and cloves for the last couple of years.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37 »
Sounds like it's these particular bulbs then.

Just a random thought here and not wanting to sound patronising, but you did remember to split the bulbs into cloves to plant?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 13:23 »
yes, on all 4 varieties :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 13:44 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that some varieties are prone to develop "double" cloves (i.e. two fused together) which will obviously develop more than one shoot but I don't know whether Cristo is one of them.

Apparently temperatures of -12C or lower can cause multiple shooting, but that seems pretty unlikely even during this past winter (unless you stored yours in the freezer!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 14:09 »
Well, unless Cristo are a bit more or less tender than the other 3 varieties, I don't know how it could be temps or stuff like that because all of them were planted at the same time in the same bed. I have a feeling Cristo were the first to show and the only ones with much shoot above the ground when the snow and bad weather hit, but I'm not sure. But of the two rows of Cristo, I think there's just one that's a normal single shoot and all the rest have two or three shoots, which is bizarre. One or two I could believe, but almost all of them?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 21:09 »
The Music should do well for you, it's the primary garlic variety we grow over here. I've tried many other varieties but Music is most dependable, and quite sizeable if you give it manure and water regularly.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 22:07 »
Not sure about the variety but I also have a few plants with multi stems . I planted about fifty cloves in late October about half a dozen have multi stems . They all came from the same stock given as a gift by another plot holder the year before and they all grew well so I saved a few to plant out this season.
I have planted some round the boarders and some in a bed all the ones in the bed are normal just the odd one in the boarders have the milti stems.
John
A gardeners work is never done.

crh75

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31 »
My Early Purple Wight all did this as well, where the other varieties did not.  I carefully lifted all the multiple plants, split them and replanted them a few weeks ago.  They are all doing great now.

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 18:23 »
I planted 4 varieties of garlic last autumn, my old favourites Iberian Wight and Thermidrome, plus 2 new varieties, Cristo and Music. All of them are growing on well, but I'm puzzled by the Cristo. Almost every clove of Cristo has put up 2 or 3 shoots per clove. It can't be environmental because none of the other garlics have done it, so it must be related to the variety or the specific bulbs. Has anyone grown Cristo before? If so, did you get multiple shoots from them?
Hi. As I understand it the cloves, while appearing to be large singles when planted, can sometimes consist of several cloves within. I always end up with a few which have 'split' and never noticed that it happens with any particular variety. Regarding the colder weather having an effect I believe that garlic really loves a period of very cold weather at an early stage.
Apart from several other varieties, all autumn planted,  I have planted Thermidrome for the first time and looking forward to seeing how they have done. They were certainly the first to shoot and have continued to be, or appear to be, ahead of the rest.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 21:32 »
Apart from several other varieties, all autumn planted,  I have planted Thermidrome for the first time and looking forward to seeing how they have done. They were certainly the first to shoot and have continued to be, or appear to be, ahead of the rest.

I hope they'll do as well for you as they have done for me. For the last couple of years, Thermidrome have been giving me some very big bulbs and cloves, way bigger than any other variety I've tried. They were substantially bigger than even the Music seed garlic I bought. They're also a really nice garlic in terms of appearance and taste.

xx
Growing garlic Cristo

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:24
by brokenglass
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper

Page created in 0.862 seconds with 37 queries.