Integrating chickens

• 7 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Integrating chickens
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:18 »
I am planning to get 2 pure breed chicks and 2 ex-batts.   I am wondering the best timing to getting them to make integrating them as trouble free as possible?

The chicks will be 6-8 weeks old.  I have an idea that getting them all at the same time and keping them apart for two weeks, they will both grow in confidence together.

Trouble is, the chicks won't be available for a couple of months, and I'm impatient to get the ex-batts now and get started.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 17:48 by DD. »

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Intergrating chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36 »
Further to my question above.  I think I am worried that if get ex-batts now, they will be at there most confident and grumpy when I get 6-week old chicks in a couple of months.  Will I have to keep them separate till the chicks are older?

(I think Im worrying about having to get up at 5am to let my second lot out.  My main coop has a self opening door, but my new quarantine coop doesn't)

snow white

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 15:28 »
Young chicks are very vulnerable to bullying by the ex-batts.  At 8 weeks they are very small still.  It might be wise to keep them apart until they are similar size (about 18 weeks). If near each other all this time then it should make integration easier.  But if you have a set up with plenty of space, (more than needed) then the chicks could get away easier.  Iv'e not any experience with ex-batts, so I am not sure of their needs.  Why don't you talk to the place you are getting them from. 

As to getting up at 5am.  Let them out at 7am.  At the moment dawn is about 6.40am.  Chicks that small won't make a fuss at waiting to come out.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 19:55 »
you would be giving them different food, growers and layers, so you would need to keep them seperate anyway.
Why do you want exbats? They will lay eggs, but prob for about 9months to a year before the amount drastically goes down.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 20:04 »
I want them as pets, the eggs are a bonus, and something to give the neighbours.  I like the idea of giving ex-battery hens a bit of a life.  I would keep all ex-batts, but the ones I have had previously have only lived a year or so.  I am aiming to half the sadness and half the vetinary expense by having a couple of normal(!) hens.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:22 »
Once you have done the 2 to 3 weeks quarantine period I would recommend keeping them separately but next door to each other. That way they get used to the smells and sounds of each other. You will need a covered run area for chicks that age as they are prone to crows, magpies etc. Once they are all on the same feed putting them together should not be a problem but best to put them together at night once they have gone dozy. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 14:18 »
We had our last 3 girls in a small coop/run within the main run for a week.
They never properly integrated as some of our previous girls still peck them and have a go when there's canary seed to fight for! :D

2 of the 3 will now go in the main hen house, but only one will join the others on the top perch. They were out on a perch in the run most of the winter. The last of the 3 newer hens, Rosie, I'm pleased to say will go inside the new henhouse (built for the 3 new hens which they don't generally use) as I found her in there at 6:30pm last night.

Charlie40

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 17:30 »
Lots to think through. Poultry of different ages should be kept separate as the younger ones are susceptible to viruses that the older ones may carry. Certainly not mixed until at least adult and even then will be bullied. Plenty of extra feeders are required and lots of space for them to run away.
Best kept separate for a year but where they can see each other.

Not to mix hybrids with pure breeds!

Three years ago I brought home 5 ex Battery hens, kept them separated from my hens by chicken wire where they could see each other, and they slept in my garden hut. After six weeks put them together and wished that I had not as all hens developed bronchitis. My vet gave antibiotics for all of my hens. They recovered but then the ex Batts started again with sneezing, and I did not want them to infect my hens again. Vet thought there was something more sinister going on with the Ex Batts. Had to cull 4 that were displaying sneezing again. Remaining 1 was a super friendly hen that came running and wanted a stroke each time.

If I was getting Ex Batts again I would make sure that they were the ONLY hens I had in the garden.
Think long and hard.

smiley
integrating new chickens to the mixed flock

Started by akwebb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 19:19
by akwebb
xx
Integrating chicks

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 11:45
by tosca100
xx
Integrating chicks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 22:58
by jhub
xx
Integrating 8 week old chooks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 20:47
by jhub

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.