4 soft shelled eggs from my black rock in 10 days :-(

• 3 Replies

moomintroll

Hi all,

My black rock Amy, laid a gigantic egg about 10 days ago. It was absolutely huge!!! Then she didn't lay for couple of days. Since then, she has laid 4 soft shelled eggs (the egg shell looked like a deflated balloon) and 1 normal hard shelled egg inbetween. She is approx 18 months old.

She seems fine in herself, lively and bright. She is a prolific egg layer, so I am wondering if she has just exhausted herself?? She lays and lays and won't give up for a break, even over winter I was still getting at least 5 eggs a week from her.

I have picked her up, and * checked crop * checked vent area and it's clean and no broken skin * no signs of any disease or infection anywhere.

Her appetite is the same as always, she loves layers pellets. She has constant access to grit/oyster shell, layers pellets, greens etc. I use ACV one week per month in water and she has pink tonic in water when in moult.

Should I be worried? I know her system is still capable of producing hard eggs as she had one between two softies.

She is about to start on worming programme for a week using Flubenvet ready mixed pellets, but thought I should hang off until I got some advice first.  The only thing different in area, is a crow banger (gas fired) has started on the next farm banging twice every 10 mins or so. Not sure if this would upset her??

Thankyou  :(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:29 by moomintroll »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: 4 soft shelled eggs from my black rock in 10 days :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 13:00 »
It could be the crow banger that is causing it.  The egg passes through her system and takes around 25 hours.  The shell is formed over this time but if they get a shock this can quicken the process and lead to softies.  It is thought to be down to hens disguarding the egg for a predator so that they can escape.  I don't know if that is true but it sounds plausible. 

Hopefully she will get used to the noise and go back to laying eggs with hard shells.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 13:21 »
a couple of years ago i had one that had difficulty passing an egg.

she did eventually pass it but after that it took a while for her laying to get back to normal, 2-3 weeks. The eggs that she laid during that time were just like you have described but she laid normally after that.

I would hope that given time she would get used to the noise  :wacko:

moomintroll

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 16:07 »
Thankyou for your replies ANHBUC and splash101.

I will just have to monitor the situation over next week and if I'm still concerned will ring the vet for advice.

I would have been more concerned if she hadn't laid a hard egg inbetween the softies. We definitely think the crow banger could be the culprit as they tend to run by solar power now, and the first bang is about 6am which is when she is generally clocking.

I think i'll go ahead and start the flubenvet treatment tomorrow when the pellets get delivered, and provide ACV water too. Thanks  :)

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by Chook Chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:55
by Chook Chook
xx
Soft shelled eggs

Started by nanna hen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 10:41
by nanna hen
xx
For everyone with Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 13:04
by Libby

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 28 queries.