Integrating chicks

• 4 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Integrating chicks
« on: October 15, 2013, 13:08 »
We have three lots of chickens, the adult flock of six hens and cockerel, teenagers aged two months of three girls and a boy, and just over three week olds, two boys and four girls.

OH wants to start to integrate some of them before they get too old. We have had the four out with the big guys with a bolt hole to their own run. They look tiny but the boy, being an arrogant teenager, has already caused a bit of a kerfuffle by squaring up to ex-chief hen and getting to safety just in time. This hen will have a go but has done no real harm. Sevi cockerel will have a go at any of them from time to time, but will then ignore and let them in to the flock. They then go back into the chick house for the night.

OH has then tried teenagers with chicks, who are little and still have a lamp. The bigger ones have taken to roosting on the partitions between the two pens, and occasionally go onto the wrong side with no problem, but when mixed together, stroppy boy has a go and the little ones fly around in a flock. They do integrate a bit, but I worry that the chicks will end up huddled in the corner furthest away from the lamp and it's quite cold at night.

We will be keeping the three hens from the older group as they are not likely to be Sevi's and hoping to get them into the Shumen flock so sevi will have five hens, and taking my four (and maybe first chick, Solo, as she has curled toes) back for eggs. The boy is likely to be going to the chap who gave me my house hens.

So, my question is, what would you do? Mix teenagers with big or smalls?

Feeling anxious. Short vid of the big lot and teenagers
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 13:14 by tosca100 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Integrating chicks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 13:58 »
They are all looking really happy and healthy.  Your two month olds seem to be holding their own so should be fine with the main flock.  The problem you will have will be the feed, they should still be on growers until they start to lay.  You could get round this by putting them separate first thing in the morning and them getting a full crop of growers before they re-join the others.  The chicks are too small to be integrated yet and will need to be on chick crumb until they are 6 weeks old when you can start to introduce growers pellets.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tosca100

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 14:18 »
Thanks ANHBUC. They would be going into the chick house at night as space is an issue in the other house until the other half is rendered. It looks as if bolshy lad will be going soon as the chap having him has commissioned a painting of his dog and needs to pick it up. They can be fed before they go out and I doubt they will find the 'grown up' food for a while as it is not in the run and they will still have a bolt hole. I think if it just the hens it will be easier. The ground looks to be a wasteland but they still seem to find morsels and they have a forage in the garden sometimes too, as long as we are around to keep them off my seedlings!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:48 »
That should make things easier if the boy is rehomed.  I think I may have 4 young bantam boys and they are just about at the stage when they will start fighting for top spot.  I am not 100% they are boys as they are a cross breed.  I am keeping my fingers crossed as they have really nice barred markings but think I am deluding myself.   ::)

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45 »
You can only hope! :D

We have chosen not to hatch any hybrids for this reason. OH was quite happy to agree to hatch birds for meat before we actually had some, but now feels he would rather buy chicken to eat.

The chap having the boy is not sure if he can take him yet as he has quite a few youngsters he is fattening for the freezer, I was hoping he would as he lives three hours away! At the moment the chick sized bolt hole is working when Sevi has one of his active sessions. Shame the red hen doesn't like chicks, she could do with a bolt hole too. She has a very bald neck and I'm not sure if it is Sevi doing it as he has taken a dislike to her.

Chickens!! who'd have 'em? :lol:

xx
Integrating chicks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 22:58
by jhub
xx
Advice needed Integrating chicks

Started by georget on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 17:21
by georget
xx
Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 08:09
by Sassy
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 30 queries.