Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop

• 7 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:56 »
My older chicks dont seem to be happy allowing the younger chicks into the coop at night. They are all in the run together in the daytime however come dusk when I need to put them away there is a distinct divide in the group and the older ones seem to block the younger ones from getting into the coop. The run is big enough for this not to be a problem in the day as they can run away from the bigger chicks.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get round this? The older ones also seem to guard the food dispite me putting in two lots for them. I still have 2 more batches of chicks to mix into the flock in the future so I would like to figure this out sooner rather than later. I do have an outbuilding I can leave 2 sets of chicks in overnight and then I let them out in the day.

The oldest chicks are around 15weeks old, the next lot are around 10-12weeks old, and I have some others which are 3weeks old and some more due to hatch this weekend.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated  ;)

kegs

Re: Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38 »
This week I integrated 13 x 7wk old chicks with 4 x 1yr olds.  They had seen each other in their various areas but last Thursday I put them all in the run together and kept my fingers crossed.  The older ones immediately started guarding the food so I put in extra feeders/drinkers and there are now three of each.  The run is set up in such a way that there are several areas, perches, large plants and a pallet where the chicks can run and hide.  So far, so good.

Thursday night we had to round up the chicks and physically place them in the coop once the older ones had gone in for the night.  They really didn't want to go in so it was a matter of lifting the coop door and putting each chick in one by one, then closing the door again quickly.  Friday night, we had to do the same again.  Saturday night, the chicks tried to get in but the older ones kept pushing them out of the coop.  I stood watching from the back door and this went on for quite a while until the older ones went to sleep and the youngsters went in.  Last night the same again but at least they were going in on their own once the older ones had settled.

Maybe I've just been lucky.  Or maybe it's just down to lots of feeders, space, places to hide and letting the older ones out to free range every so often to give them all a break.

Good luck.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 13:01 »
Thanks Kegs, I think my main concern is pecking of the eyes by the older light sussex cockerel. I think they only see the younger cockerel as a threat and are sort of ok with the hens. If I did just force them into the coop with each other could it be a blood bath by the morning? Maybe I need to wait a little longer till the older lot are tired but then id still worry about it all kicking off in the morning. Oh dear what have I let myself in for  :tongue2:

kegs

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 15:27 »
I stood outside the coop listening and it did go quiet fairly quickly.  I also made sure I let them out extra early the next morning though (5.45am  :blink:) just in case.

Edited to add:  Having said that, I haven't got any cockerels in the older group (although 10 of the 13 x 7wk olds have worryingly large combs and wattles  :wub:)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 15:29 by kegs »

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 13:41 »
They survived their first night  :D I just put them in there extra early and got them out extra early. Theres still funny food guarding games going on mind  ::)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 19:16 »
When introducing hens to each other a cockerel can be useful for keeping the peace. However, he is unlikely to take kindly to another cockerel and may/is likely to become very aggressive with it as it gets older to the point of killing it. :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 17:41 »
Theyve been together for 3 days now and seem to get on well. There's 7 chickens in total, 3 of them cockerels and doesnt seem to be much fighting/pecking. Theres still a bit of a divide going on and I have to stand inbetween the 2 seperate feeders to make sure the little ones are getting a few feeds a day. Its only the light sussex cockerel that seems more bothered about not letting the little chicks feed more so than feeding himself. I think if I give it a couple more days they will be all fine together. The run I have is 30ish ft by 25ish ft so they have plenty of space and I think this helps to keep the peace somewhat  :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:09 »
Unfortunately as the young cocks mature the status quo is unlikely to be maintained. :ohmy:

xx
Integrating chicks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 22:58
by jhub
xx
Integrating chicks

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 11:45
by tosca100
xx
Advice needed Integrating chicks

Started by georget on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 17:21
by georget
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.