What grows well near water?

• 6 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
What grows well near water?
« on: February 24, 2013, 19:41 »
I got my new plot today, it's a Small, less than half a plot size which is great for me, should be very easy to manage and it's not in a terrible state either  :)

Anyway, thing is its right next to a fast running stream, an old timer told me he's only ever known it to dry out twice in thirty years.  I'm thinking there's got to be some advantage to being so close to this stream bot googling "what plants grow well close to water" only seems to give me flowers or canabis, neither are really an option :lol:

So, water cress perhaps, although that's supposed to be in water and I might not be able to do that.  What about edible food on the banks of streams?  Any ideas?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

MattHB

Re: What grows well near water?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 20:24 »
I got my new plot today, it's a Small, less than half a plot size which is great for me, should be very easy to manage and it's not in a terrible state either  :)

Anyway, thing is its right next to a fast running stream, an old timer told me he's only ever known it to dry out twice in thirty years.  I'm thinking there's got to be some advantage to being so close to this stream bot googling "what plants grow well close to water" only seems to give me flowers or canabis, neither are really an option :lol:

So, water cress perhaps, although that's supposed to be in water and I might not be able to do that.  What about edible food on the banks of streams?  Any ideas?

Are you able to put some drainage pipes in which outlet into the stream?

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 20:28 »

Are you able to put some drainage pipes in which outlet into the stream?

Erm, not exactly sure what you mean, yes, I'm sure I'd be allowed to put drainage pipes in, but not sure why i need to.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 20:32 »
I think MattHB has taken "only ever known it to dry out twice in thirty years", to refer to your plot, not the stream, Jake!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 21:03 »
Oh right, got you. Sorry, wasn't clear.  No the plots fine, just wondering if I can take advantage of the water feature :)

MattHB

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 21:32 »
I think MattHB has taken "only ever known it to dry out twice in thirty years", to refer to your plot, not the stream, Jake!
:D yes I did.. Sorry!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:21 »
Just enjoy the stream. Leave the edges untidy rather than mowing and let vegetation develop naturally to encourage wildlife.

You do not need a licence to take water out, at least not for the amount you will use on your plot.

xx
What grows together?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 15:03
by sunshineband
question
Who grows celeriac?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 09:03
by savbo
xx
What grows ok on wet boggy ground?

Started by utigers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 09:21
by Yorkie
xx
What veg grows all year round?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 00:38
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.825 seconds with 28 queries.