What grows together?

• 10 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
What grows together?
« on: April 06, 2009, 21:22 »
I've got onions&beetroot in one bed,some early pots in another and runner beans&some peas in another with bundles of room left over.There are still some peas,courgettes,carrots,cauli's&cabbages in seed trays ready to go in in a week or two,but what can i sow direct in the ground that will grow well with what's already planted?I feel like maybe i'm wasting a little time &space with so much room left 

Thanks in advance.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: What grows together?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 21:37 »
If you click on Information on the top bar, you can find  links to Crop Rotatoin and Vegetable families in the blue font about half way down the page . Can't post a hyperlink, sorry.
Hope this helps  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 21:40 »
Peas and beans are fine with anything but aliums,so keep them away from onions and garlic
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Christine

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:51 »
A word of warning - weeds are companion plants to everything  :mad:

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:44 »
A word of warning - weeds are companion plants to everything  :mad:

Ho Ho Ho.  Or should that be hoe hoe hoe!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 14:38 »
Peas and beans are fine with anything but aliums,so keep them away from onions and garlic
Just in time to stop me planting my new garlic around the edges of the bed where the runners are going!!!!! Thank you Peapod  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 14:56 »
Just in time to stop me planting my new garlic around the edges of the bed where the runners are going!!!!! Thank you Peapod  :D

You are very welcome, cant have those beans unhappy. Id get into trouble in my house if I upset my french beans  :D

paintedlady

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 14:58 »
isn't it a tad bit early to be planting runner beans & courgette's actually outside, even for sunny Dagenham?  I've not even sown mine yet!  And carrots should either be sown outside directly or in some sort of paper/peat pot or loo roll so that their roots are not disturbed when planting out - not a good idea to sow carrots in a seed tray   :nowink:

Back to all that space - plant more peas!!  Do successional sowings so that you have continuous cropping.  It might look like a lot of open ground now, but baby plants soon grow into huge ones!!!   IMO, I'd rather have plenty of growing space for a healthy crop than try to pack too many plants together as they will only compete for sun, food, water & space.  And have you planned for later sowings of say swede or winter cabbage, or for when planting out leeks?  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 14:59 »

You are very welcome, cant have those beans unhappy. Id get into trouble in my house if I upset my french beans  :D
French beans are one of my absolute faves  :D I have made a low polytunnel and warmed up the ground for weeks so I can plant them early and eat them early too I hope, Yum  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 15:01 »
I wil have to wait for mine Sunshine...the bed isnt even done yet! Its still buried under a pile of sand and hardcore on a huge board  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 15:03 »
I wil have to wait for mine Sunshine...the bed isnt even done yet! Its still buried under a pile of sand and hardcore on a huge board  :D

:( :( :(

xx
What grows well near water?

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 08:21
by Salmo
question
Who grows celeriac?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 09:03
by savbo
xx
What grows ok on wet boggy ground?

Started by utigers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 09:21
by Yorkie
xx
What grows best in shady areas?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 11:39
by Kagganz

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 36 queries.