Hi - first time allotmenteer

• 6 Replies

al78

Hi - first time allotmenteer
« on: February 12, 2013, 23:23 »
Hi everyone

I stumbled across this forum a while back and finally decided to register. I've recently taken on an allotment in Horsham, W Sussex (a half plot) which, luckily, already had a shed and was in reasonable condition. I even had some crops left by the previous tenant to harvest. I took it on in November and dug half the plot, which was the half with bare, heavily compacted clay soil. I broke it up into big clods and let the mid December cold snap shatter them into a more crumbly texture. I then covered it with cardboard and weed suppressant and intend to leave it until I am ready to cultivate. My problem is now I am eager to tackle the other half which has the old crops and weeds but the soil is just so saturated I can't do anything but wait and hope for some prolonged dry weather. I have bought most of my seeds plus a few herbs and flowers for companion planting, and am planning to get seed potatoes soon to start chitting. As I don't have a car I've been transporting bags of horse manure to the allotment week by week using my bicycle trailer; I should have enough by the end of the year lol. I'll soon have enough to fill one pallet compost bin, as it is fresh I guess I will have to leave it to rot down and hopefully it will be ready to spread on the plot during the Autumn.

So here I am, eagerly looking forward to Spring and the start of the growing season. I have read some of the beginners advice on here so am going to make sure I don't rush into things too fast, it is better to be a bit late with the sowing that too early and have seeds that rot in cold wet ground.

I do have one question, I have been looking at the seed packets and the summer purple sprouting broccoli looks like it can be started indoors, although unlike the other seeds it doesn't specify the temperature range required. My house is at around 10-12C, is this too cool to start seedlings indoors? Some of the other packets which give instructions for indoor sowing suggest a range of 15-20C, which is quite a bit warmer.

Also, there was an interesting tip about putting reflective foil around seed trays indoors to maximise the light they receive. I've never thought of doing that before.

cadalot

Re: Hi - first time allotmenteer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33 »
Hi Al

Welcome, to the site, sound like you fell on your feet with your plot, shed & winter crops still in the ground and all.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57 »
Welcome to the forums.

Your house temperature is plenty warm enough to start brassicas off, even possibly a little too warm! They certainly don't want to be kept at that temperature once germinated.

They will need to go into a cool, but frost free place until they are sturdier, such as a cold frame or cool greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21 »
Good morning Al and welcome  :D

Sounds like you are well organised for the new season.... I bet your fingers are just itching to start sowing everything, but at this time in the year patience (and reading the back of seed packets  ;) ) is a huge virtue  :lol:

Could you add your localaity in to your profile please, so that we can see this with every post, as it helps give more accurate responses --- our memberhsip is word wide and conditions obviousy vary a great deal.

Thank you 
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47 »
Hi Al and welcome.

There are some things you can do to get started while you wait for the ground, you can plant garlic, shallots and onions in modules then plant out later. You can sow onion, leek and early cauli and cabbage seeds, once germinated move to a cooler area as DD said.

Good Luck
Paul

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 13:39 »

Welcome!

Its easy to get carried away when you get a new plot, I know that feeling all too well.

My advice would be to spend this time clearing and prepearing everything you can. As once the growing season starts you'll spend all your time weeding, watering and sowing.

On my first year I simply covered half of the plot in heavy plastic, as I knew trying to work all of it would be too much. Only having half to work on meant I could concentrate more on beinging compost bins, raised beds, sorting out a shed, etc ...

Good luck!

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

candygold1

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 17:13 »
ive just got a new local council plot and it needs some serious work so its just a case of strim all the grass down put shed up dig maybe 3 or 4 beds and leave the rest to do as and when i have time.  i will only grow potatoes,onions,shallots,beans and strawberries this year and maybe a few salad veg but i decided its not a race to get everything done as that will very soon take all the fun out of it. and after all its meant to be enjoyed

xx
First time allotmenteer

Started by KerryE on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 20:14
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
First time allotmenteer/gardener

Started by Sandysoil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 23:09
by Sandysoil
xx
New Allotmenteer

Started by WeedDetester on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 31, 2006, 20:10
by Eristic
xx
Newbie Allotmenteer ...

Started by Ladyallot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 19:30
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 30 queries.