New Allotmenteer

• 11 Replies

WeedDetester

New Allotmenteer
« on: October 22, 2006, 16:36 »
As a new allotmenteer, I realise that this time of year is a time for clearing out, manuring etc for next year. Being quite impatient, is there anything worth growing this time of year bearing in mind i'm up in Carlisle and it will probably get a bit nippy soon?
Beauty Is In the eye Of The Beer Holder

Gwiz

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 17:13 »
theres quite a lot of info on this in various threads. can i suggest you go to the home page, and click on the month by month guide. theres lots of good stuff on there. :D  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
New Allotmenteer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 20:16 »
and please don't shout at us weed detester, we aren't deaf!!! lol

But I agree with qwiz, the month by month is good.  there are a few things you can grow now to start you off and give you a bit of encouragement!

Fluff

• Experienced Member
new allotment
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 21:31 »
I am also new to this so will look at guide.

Ironically I have just moved from Carlisle. It was wet and cold up there just off junction 44 off Lowry hill
NOT ARF !

WeedDetester

Is that better?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 22:38 »
Thanks for that folks. Fluff, where on Lowry Hill?
My allotment is just off Kingstown Rd. It's not too bad!!

milkman

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:19 »
Hallo WeedDesister I love weeds.  You can plant garlic, sow hardy varieties of peas and broad beans at this time of year, plant up your soft fruit bed if you are planning one (raspberries, blackcurrants etc.), plant fruit trees, plant rhubarb, build a compost bin and start filling it up etc. etc.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

WeedDetester

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 17:15 »
Thanks Milkman....plenty to be getting on with. I'm actually in the process of cutting down old fruit bushes that were next to the fence running by my plot. The Council told me that they were MY responsibility...bit of a forest of them. The other plot holders tell me that they've been in for years and they're now past their best.

muntjac

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 20:05 »
only knock them back 50% and with a bit of shape  to them weed mate  bet they come back with good fruit in a couple years  :wink: .and if they are your responsibility then technically they are your trees .your fruit :D
still alive /............

noshed

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 21:13 »
Yep. Cut them back and see what happens in the spring - might be OK. You could also take cuttings now as well I believe - never tried it myself but I'm considering a few possibilities.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
New Allotmenteer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 21:54 »
Hello there, Weed detester. I live on the opposite coast, near Middlesbrough, so anticipate it becoming even more wet and windy in the coming days, although we don't get a lot of frost and snow being right on the coast. Have planted a couple of rows of Aquadulce broad beans, under wire cloches covered with fleece - some have started to sprout. Must pop down and check out for slugs. Have also bought some Meteor peas which can technically be planted now. My pals say to let them start them off in the green house to plant early spring, but I'm tempted to sneak a few out of the packet first, tuck them up in the other side of the bed with the beans and see what happens!  Do plant some rasps when you get a chance - I help out with another small allotment and am still picking late raspberries, delicious.   Good luck, look forward to hearing how you get on.  Jeanieblue
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

WeedDetester

New Allotmenteer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 15:01 »
Thanks Jeanie, i'll give it a go and see what happens. We've had a real medley of weather here the last few days, gale force winds, rain, hail, sunshine and mist.....I was once told that if you don't like the weather in the North....just wait 20 minutes!!!!

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
New Allotmenteer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 20:10 »
When I stayed with friends in Fort William a few years ago they could predict the weather just by looking for Ben Nevis.

"If you can see Ben Nevis it is going to rain." they said.

I looked but told them I couldn't see the mountain.

Reply: "Then it is already raining."

xx
Prospective allotmenteer!

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 20:12
by Munchkin
xx
Hi - first time allotmenteer

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 17:13
by candygold1
xx
I'm a ____________ Allotmenteer

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 15:12
by Bombers
xx
First time allotmenteer

Started by KerryE on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 20:14
by Wiltshire Worms

Page created in 1.031 seconds with 36 queries.