What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1200 on: May 16, 2013, 15:23 »
In the greenhouse again today - lovely in there in the sunshine! :happy:

Have moved everything around to accomodate the permanent plants and have put the Roma and Gartenperle toms in their pots and hanging baskets, respectively.

However now have the problem that the metal frame of the greenhouse is too flimsy to hold 4 hanging baskets! :(

Ideas on strengthening my greenhouse on a postcard please!!  :D

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1201 on: May 16, 2013, 18:10 »
Just visited the plot in the rain! Potted on my courgettes, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers and now have to leave them in the hands of the unheated greenhouse under several layers of fleece as I just don't have room for them all indoors.
Fully expecting cuc's to croak it at the first available opportunity!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

snowdrops

« Reply #1202 on: May 16, 2013, 18:46 »
In the greenhouse this morning sowed 3 varieties of leeks into module trays 3 x 81 modules,gulp don't know where they are all going to go. Pricked out x 2 types cauliflower,cabbages,brussels, & brocolli. then I was jiggered.Had a ride to the plot after a nap & made myself miserable looking at the weeds sprouting. Might need to instruct Mr S on how to handle a swoe at the weekend. :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1203 on: May 16, 2013, 18:51 »
Repotted my tomatoes, which are now living in the greenhouse (was hoping not to have to, but given the recent weather I'm playing safe in keeping them "portable"!)

Planted out the Ailsa Craig chives onions (not sure I've quite cracked onions-from-seeds yet!)

Repotted my two sunken pots of mint - a solid mass of roots after just one year (as usual.)

Had a calm and rational discussion with my neighbour who a couple of days ago mowed his lawn and also his only-just-flowered daffs ("they keep coming up blind so I thought I might as well get flatten the piggin'  things!")  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #1204 on: May 16, 2013, 19:04 »
Planted some sweetcorn then fled from the hail.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1205 on: May 16, 2013, 21:17 »
Three buckets of weeds again, where on earth did they come from. Cursed the damn council who were late strimming the grass so they strimmed today when all the dandies had seed heads on, the whole site is covered in White heads.

Pulled a lettuce and moaned at my peas, blooming pigeons  :mad:

blackberryjam

« Reply #1206 on: May 16, 2013, 22:45 »
Checked on the tomatoes plants and the okra in the greenhouse there doing okay so far.
There's weeds everywhere again,the plot owner next to me has dug over his raised bed but has still not cut his grass or should I say weeds, it's a bit hard to tell has there about a 2ft high, there everywhere on his plot and all gone to seed. >:(
Planted a pumpkin seed :)

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1207 on: May 16, 2013, 23:40 »
Still more weeding - where do they come from - and watered the delicates in the cold frame!

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1208 on: May 17, 2013, 13:16 »
Weeding, weeding and more weeding!!!

jmc1949

« Reply #1209 on: May 17, 2013, 14:10 »
Just went to check the plots were OK, then took a load of old carpets/rotting wood to the tip. It had been left by someone a few weeks ago with the recyclable stuff, so took it to the tip with my rubbish.

grendel

« Reply #1210 on: May 17, 2013, 15:13 »
weeding, went to the plot for an hour at 11 am, got home at 2.30pm. weeded the remaining beans and peas, and the two rows of potatoes I could reach at the same time, amazed by the number of volunteer peas coming up amongst the potatoes, plus some runner beans, thats where they were planted last year. after that I spot dug some strawberry plants from the strawberry / weed bed. got home and planted 20 strawberries into the front garden.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1211 on: May 17, 2013, 17:39 »
New water butt installed collecting from the greenhouse roof and took a load of paving slabs over. Hoping the weather holds out tomorrow so we can get the remaining weed control down on the new paths.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1212 on: May 17, 2013, 20:47 »
Went down late in the day to check on everything after a cold and windy week. All seems well, and the sweetcorn debris netting tent and French bean cloche seems to have done their work and the plants look good. Whew!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1213 on: May 17, 2013, 21:25 »
had a real good weed in the onion area today and the strawberry beds, pulled up lots of Jerusalem artichokes, picked some rhubarb, and noticed that my sweetcorn is starting to come through. Radishes nearly ready - will be my first real harvest lol! The asparagus has started teasing me - its calling me, it wants to be eaten :ohmy:

grendel

« Reply #1214 on: May 18, 2013, 13:49 »
cold in the garden, so just potted  up some tomatoes, cabbage and 7 strawberrys grown from seed (7 from 30 seeds!)
Grendel

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 38 queries.