What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1215 on: May 18, 2013, 14:01 »
Haven't made it yet, hubby went up just for rhubarb. Going tonight as it's my turn. I expect a few weeds will have sprung up since the other night, like they do the minute your back is turned.

I got side tracked in the kitchen.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1216 on: May 18, 2013, 15:02 »
A busy busy 4 and a half hours for us. Gutter pipes in the bath filled with a mix of sifted Soil and sand in the bath to create extra depth. Parsnips sowed in said pipes, and more sowed in the bath alone (not enough pipes). Hubby finished the final raised bed and did some DIY on some of the older beds that needed a bit of TLC. Covered the final 2 paths in weed control, and then one path filled in with the ridiculously heavy 2 foot x 2 foot concrete slabs, and most of the other path covered by small slabs that my parents had laying about at home. Hubby swears i'm trying to kill him (and it's our wedding anniversary today!)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #1217 on: May 18, 2013, 22:41 »
Put 40 leeks in an area about 4ft x 2ft (a bit cramped I know but that is all I was going to spare on them), took up some black matting I had down in a 10ft x 6ft area - dug it over and put a couple of bags of manure on it as it was the most un-cared for part of my 4 year plot...it will have my sweetcorns and a couple of squashes in there next week. Then uncovered a big mound of cut up turf I took from my garden to the plot last year just to get rid of it, I mixed in half a bag of manure, some BBF and some pellets...Its about 2foot high and is going to be home to the websites biggest pumpkin next weekend!!!! :D ......as long as no one else grows anything bigger than a football.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 22:43 by BicesterKev »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #1218 on: May 18, 2013, 23:24 »
Planted out dwarf french beans, potted up chitted squash/cues, unleashed the namatodes (vine weevil) on anything edible in a pot and hopefully killed off the rest with chemicals.  Plumbed in another water butt and sowed some spring onions.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Ema

« Reply #1219 on: May 19, 2013, 11:08 »
Yesterday I put my first courgette plant out in 1 huge pile of rotted rabbit poo with a bit of fleece around it to keep the pheseants and wind off it.

also started pulling the stinging nettles that I sprayed twice a few weeks back god their roots go on and on.

replaced a dead rubarb crown the remaining ones all have little holes on and ants crawling on the underside :/

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1220 on: May 19, 2013, 12:18 »
Well that's it.........

I have cleared out at home and they have two choices, grow or  (well you can guess) had a slug attack at home overnight and that was enough for me to take the plunge.

So courgettes are out, pumpkins are out, French beans are out, sweetcorn is out, marrow is out, etc etc etc

I think I may need some good luck sending this way. I found three tiny slugs in the cold frames which have now been dispatched

sheridan

« Reply #1221 on: May 19, 2013, 14:18 »
Today I planted in my new beds. New because the allotment had been abandoned for a year, until now.....
So, rather than have a weedkilled lottie, I have previously weeded out thistles, couch and dandelions by hand to make 5 beds. Now two of them, as of today, hold potatoes, and another 2 hold peas. By tommorrow, the peas will be gone, as I heard the pigeons laughing as I left. They particularly liked my makeshift "whatever was left on the allotment" protective covering of a bit of chicken wire and some old fleece. Oh, and I burnt some thistles, for the kids benefit.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1222 on: May 19, 2013, 15:41 »
Sweetcorn went out today - yes I know it will probably sulk but they were outgrowing their toilet roll tubes with some of the lower leaves turning yellow (despite having nitrogen feeds). I had some plastic bottle cloches for the smallest ones but the rest will have to get on with it. The dwarf French breaks that went out last week still look fine. Annoyingly some of the brassicas have been attacked by slugs (a couple completely stripped) despite being netted with debris netting as soon as they were planted and surrounded by 'slug off' white pellets to put them off. I don't want to use the blue pellets...

I also weeded some more - damn bindweed! And sowed more salad and beetroot (burped and golden variety).

grendel

« Reply #1223 on: May 19, 2013, 16:15 »
busy day in the garden, tidying, weeding and sieving the earth / compost from empty big pots into buckets to use with BBF to pot on stuff, tidied up (stacked) the spare big pots, shifted  the wood pile as I am fed up of waiting fro the neighbours builders to replace the fence they took down to build their extension.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1224 on: May 19, 2013, 17:18 »
Busy busy busy day. 24 patio slabs collected from 10 miles away (bargain on a facebook selling page), laid on the paths at the lotty, weeded, discovered my latest attempt at sweetcorn has come up. Then the day got expensive... seems when I went to the petrol station to fill the can for the mower I filled with Diesel rather than unleaded (in my defence I drive a Diesel) result - one very dead lawnmower. .. It was a blooming good one and going to cost me £315 to replace like for like for hubby :-(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1225 on: May 19, 2013, 17:26 »
Went up to finish off putting nets on everything, hubby got bored before finishing so I went instead.
Some of my plants look far too small to be out but they have two choices. They were struggling in the pots so it had to be done.

I have officially now no beds left on plot 65 and 66. So it's on with the big dig on dads plt before my other bits need to go out.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1226 on: May 19, 2013, 17:44 »
Lots of rain over the past two days and my plot has flooded again  >:( BUT... not in the raised beds! Yey! :D  The potatoes and peas look unaffected by the surrounding waters. :D Don't you just love it when a plan comes together  :)

Assembled and erected the X frame for the runners.

Anne

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1227 on: May 19, 2013, 19:49 »
Strung my Munty frame and popped in the Painted lady runners.  Proud moment when two young blokes walked past and I heard 'that looks nice'  8)  Thanks Mr Munty and the Allotment forum.

On the other hand, dropped my climbing french beans and lost a few, so popped home to grab some dry beans to plant in with the survivors... I prefer to think on it as accidental succession planting! 

Ooh ooh, almost forgot- tiny leafy tufts of carrots are showing (my first carrots ever  :D).  Week 6 of the new allotment, I threw them in on day 1 after clearing the first batch of the twitch off.  There's still a fair amount of weeds to get out but at least I can see what not to clear  :blink:

Now if only my parsnips chitting at home would do something.  Anything.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1228 on: May 19, 2013, 20:09 »
Dashed won quickly yesterday morning and cut 22 asparagus spears, two round headed cabbages and 5kg of rhubarb (once trimmed)

Today I planted out the rest of my runners, dug over the bed for the PSB and sprouts, added some chicken manure pellets and firmed it well. Put up a net cloche to save me time when I go to plant the plants out later this week

Dug over the bed where the cabbages had been, digging in the last of my rotted manure and a half barrow load of compost, ready for the celery and celeriac to go in later in the week.

Planted out some small iceberg lettuces
Took the germinated butternut plants down to the greenhouse before they get leggy.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

blackberryjam

« Reply #1229 on: May 19, 2013, 21:01 »
Weeded every where, set up the frame for runnerbeans, had tea and chat with other lottie members ,given a wooden bistro set only needs a rub down its great. Also given  a 8x6 wooden frame which as made another raised bed. Cut the grass paths and put slug pellets down their  munching on my french beans. Tided the shed and the greenhouse. :happy:

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 37 queries.