What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

hanssg

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1170 on: May 12, 2013, 22:47 »
today i mulched my strawbs, weeded the beds then headed home as it was xxxxxxx it down again.

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1171 on: May 12, 2013, 22:59 »
Yay. Did an awful lot of weeding today, have the achy back to prove it!
Bindweed is a real problem on my lottie  :(
But got very excited to see a few potato, carrot and pea shoots.
Hip hip
Mrswashi

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #1172 on: May 13, 2013, 17:08 »
Earthed up my 2 rows of spuds - a great feeling churning the weeds up that have started growing! Weeded around my onions and garlics, also the same with my small row of cabbages that are coming along nicely. Tidied up around my broad beans and peas - my 40p dried marrowfat pea investment is looking good at the moment as I have a decent row emerging. I then put in some little gems from the coldframe down the middle of my bean sticks that have black plastic laid underneath them (beans not in yet!). Took 3 bags of manure down ready for pumpkin/squash plating hopefully in the next week or so if this blooming wind would die down!
Got home and had a quick tot up of things in the coldframe/platic greenhouse....15 tomato plants, 6 aubergines, 5 peppers/chillies, 4 okra, 6 melons, 6 pumpkins, 21 other squashes/courgettes/cucumbers & 21 sweetcorns....I've only got half a plot....it is going to be packed!!  :D

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1173 on: May 13, 2013, 18:20 »
Went down late this afternoon after the rain to recover from shock of car repair bill!
It all looks nice - well the earliest spuds,shallots,  onions, early broccoli, celeriac all coming along nicely. Carrots have sprouted so only the parsnips being less than helpful!
Tomorrow - provided I get a few dry hours the weeds will get it!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1174 on: May 13, 2013, 18:56 »
I want to have a paddy and stamp my feet, hubby has dashed off to the plot as soon as I pulled into the drive with the kids, he already had the little one in bed. it's my turn he went yesterday.  >:(

grendel

« Reply #1175 on: May 13, 2013, 20:42 »
well the rainy start of the day put me off going to the plot, instead I finished weeding the front garden.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1176 on: May 13, 2013, 20:53 »
Finally weeded the onions!
Yay!

It's only taken me a week! ::)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1177 on: May 13, 2013, 22:20 »
Today did not go as planned as it was my day off but my little boy was ill so didn't get to spend the day at the plot  ::).  He miraculously perked up at about 2ish (funny, that) so we went for an hour between showers. Checked and weeded the peas, they are coming up slowly.  Had some more in modules to plant but it was so blooming windy I couldn't wrestle with the canes so just brought them home again!  I'll try again when this blinking wind drops a bit. :lol:

blackberryjam

« Reply #1178 on: May 13, 2013, 23:05 »
Not able to do much on the lottie today, just popped in to check my okra in the greenhouse, they seem okay but I've  put the covers on just in case it gets to cold for them.
Weeds everywhere again, I'm fighting a never ending battle and its mainly because the plot next to me is fall of dandelions which have gone to seed and now spreading over my plot and the plot on the other side of me. We have never seen the owner of the plot.
My Hubby would love to spray the whole plot with roundup  said he's got the license to use it.
 Trouble is it won't just kill the weeds.
I'll have to talk to the allotment warden about it, but I really don't want to cause any ill feeling on the site.  :unsure:

Sweetpea C

« Reply #1179 on: May 14, 2013, 06:18 »
Well, yesterday now. My husband had the day off and went to the allotment voluntarily and build a couple of raised beds. This is the just about the first time he's actually got out of the car after 4 months of me having it! I think he is inspired now there is some dug ground and plants in and it is looking like an allotment. That said, he then came home and started advising me what to do  :mad: (I asked him if Monty Don had popped to the plot because what would he know?)  :lol: still, a good sign none the less but I also felt a little protective of it - Mine Mine Mine!   
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

grendel

« Reply #1180 on: May 14, 2013, 12:16 »
few hours at the plot - took the strimmer and strimmed the paths ans compost bin area, then did some weeding.
chatted with the plot neighbours.
Grendel

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1181 on: May 14, 2013, 12:21 »
Nothing here because we have a lot of the wet stuff  ::) again.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1182 on: May 14, 2013, 12:38 »
Little bit of weeding and planted a few pumpkins seeds direct
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

jmc1949

« Reply #1183 on: May 14, 2013, 16:16 »
Planted up the flower area with cornflowers, nasturtiums and marigolds. Also sowed some wild flower seeds at the back of the plot. I'm doing my best to get the bees to come near my fruit trees and bushes :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1184 on: May 14, 2013, 17:31 »
Replaced the anti-mouse netting with the anti-pigeon netting around my sugarsnap peas which are now all up.

Finally got round to planting out the sweet peas.

Planted up some rooted watercress in a large tub of chicken poo enriched compost in the greenhouse.

Dead-headed the tulips, daffs and some of the hyacinths in the front garden and transplanted a few lily of the valley plants to a shady spot (dug out of my lawn where they have crept through the hedge from next door - very nice, but I hope they don't make a habit of it!)

Crossed everything that my other neighbour got to finish mowing his dandelion-rich lawn before it started really raining.........he just made it which is just as well as they're off on holiday at the end of the week and I've got plenty of dandelions of my own already.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 38 queries.