How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Totty

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 22:40 »
Plenty of fruit getting fat on the early sowing. First trusses setting now on second sowing. Plants in heated greenhouse at home are about 4ft and looking good. Glut imminent.

Totty

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 22:48 »
Mine just don't seem to be putting any height on. All leaf branches very close together, as are flower shoots. Plenty of flowers on, but well hidden by lots of foliage. This is happening to most plants regardless of variety. My neighbours are doing much the same. Totally different stock of plants, different compost, differerent everything. So what could be happening?

compostqueen

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 22:49 »
No fruits on any of mine yet but plenty of flowers. I had to tie in many of them again today as they're growing so strongly. One of my Roma's is really short and stocky though  :)  I've got San Marzano, Tigerella and Saint Pierre

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 22:54 »
My tigrella are the tallest out of mine, followed by G delight. The san marzano and money maker are really stumpy. The neighbour's are Shirlys.

Agatha

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41 »
I am not speaking to anyone whose tomatoes are flowering  >:(.  Mine are tiny and haven't grown for ages.  I am sulking!
You can talk to me then cos mine aren't either!  I just went out and glared at them and told them to get a move on!

Looks like you'll be the ONLY person I'll be talking too...and posting photos of ripe tomatoes is just cruel!   >:(  Do you think if we threatened our plants with a bottle of weedkiller it would encourage them to start growing?!  :ohmy:
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Martin70

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 13:59 »
1st year of this for me so it's quite exciting. I have 13 plants in total - 8 Moneymaker which I grew from seed and a mixture of plants I picked up in the Garden Center. I found the growth of the Moneymaker plants a little confusing as to what was a side shoot or not as they seem to divide from the main stem whereas I've not noticed this on the other varieties.

Most of the plants are about 4 feet tall now with flowers - the exception seems to be the one 'Big Boy' plant I have - it's the tallest one now at about 5 feet+ but no flowers at all yet.

I am guessing it is just a later flowerer than the others - not too bothered as I have far more than I planned to grow now. Will grow alll from seed next year but will look at the other varieties recommended on here. Not joined long but have picked up lots of tips I've not read elsewhere so thanks to all.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 14:41 »
I've been nursing the one tomato I have on my sweet n' neat for some time now, and although cherry tomato size isn't showing any signs of ripening!

My first fruit is setting on the sungolds  :D  all other have plenty of flowers (even the one where I accidentally knocked off the first truss on transplanting).  Think I might be a little way off a harvest but fingers crossed.

I don't seem to have anywhere near as many tomatoes as last year, I've a pile of pots left in the shed  :blink:

All mine are outside as I do not have a green house.

H :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 14:54 »
Just starting to get a few flowers on the GH toms but the ones planted out yesterday are looking very sorry for themselves!  :nowink:  Still, last years looked terrible for a few weeks after planting out but were fine once established.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 19:33 »
I am not speaking to anyone whose tomatoes are flowering  >:(.  Mine are tiny and haven't grown for ages.  I am sulking!
You can talk to me then cos mine aren't either!  I just went out and glared at them and told them to get a move on!

Looks like you'll be the ONLY person I'll be talking too...and posting photos of ripe tomatoes is just cruel!   >:(  Do you think if we threatened our plants with a bottle of weedkiller it would encourage them to start growing?!  :ohmy:

Ha!  I still don't have any flowers on my plants.  I might, just might, have a little cluster of flowers coming up thru the middle of the plants BUT its far too small to tell - if might be more stems as they are bush varieties.  They are in grobags and I have decided to start giving them a weak feed now.  It can't do any harm, cos at this rate any toms that do appear won't have time to grow and ripen anyway  ::)

Ema

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 23:22 »
Forgot to water some of mine and they look very sorry for themselves the rest look lush and huge

Debz

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 11:25 »
Some flowers on my Alicante and Tigrella in the greenhouse.  I'll be delighted to get any fruit at all after the disastrous weather and crop of last year.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 12:11 »
My 9 year old daughter sowed the seed for our 6 moneymakers and they are 2 foot high, in the greenhouse, loads of flowers and a couple of little green toms. I just went up to the school to tell her because her topic this year is growing :) very orotund mummy :) if only the gene pool with the free fingers came from my side ..... :D
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

compostqueen

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 16:38 »
I was up close to my toms yesterday, removing side shoots, and I spotted a tomato  :D  Yeeehaaaaaa  :lol: It was on the plant nearest the door.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 21:30 »
Got several plants in an unheated GH and all doing really well.  lots of flowers on all of the plants and even a few berry sized fruits coming along now :)

Those few feeds from the epsom salts sorted out the magnesium defficiency as well :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 21:36 »
My Lizzano's are huge and flowering well outside with a few toms already. My tumbling toms have finally stopped sulking and are also growing in size but no flowers yet

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:15
by 2peasinapod
xx
my toms

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 13:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 29 queries.