my toms

• 31 Replies

andy dewar

my toms
« on: July 03, 2014, 00:26 »
Iv got loads of toms in the greenhouse but none have turned red yet  :( im feeding once a week with nettle tea is there anything else i need to be doing ? iv also taken off some leaves to let more sunlight in thanks for any help

Springlands

Re: my toms
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:47 »
Andy - it is still relatively early - the toms will ripen in their own time. But I understand your impatience - I keep looking at mine every day.  ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:09 »
Andy, sometimes you can be fooled into thinking you are being left behind when you see posts from the likes of me who have been harvesting tomatoes from outside for weeks. But I live in Bulgaria and others live in Spain and France so totally different climates and much longer seasons.

Be patient, and tomato feed is probably better than nettle tea which is better for leafy things.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:21 »
The tomatoes desperately want sun.

But there is not much we can do about that except pray to the weather Gods.

I've been waiting now for a month for some tomatoes to turn red.

The only ones that have turned red are the ones "by accident" fell off the plant. They have been in my kitchen for a month. And now they started to turn colour. They probably won't taste very good though. They "dropped off" the plant too early.

ps. I was a bit too careless with the plant and part of the truss broke off due to the weight of the tomatoes.

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:27 »
I did the same yesterday but they have already taken on a yellow tone so should be OK. We have had an unusual amount of rain and plants are brittle and easily broken.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:52 »
I have 2 tub toms ripening - but only because they are sown in January and kept mostly indoors until they can go out in the greenhouse.

Some of my other plants, sown at the usual time, have still only got marbles on - let alone anything that could ripen yet  ::)

We get this impatience every year, don't we  :D

tosca100

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26 »
We have just been next door for rakia, biscuits and coffee after OH did some strimming for them. Our host must be in his eighties and bent almost double. You should see his tomatoes though, ten long rows of two varieties, all totally tidy and straight, six foot high, seven trusses, one variety pink beefsteak, the other red huge and upside-down pear shaped. Huge peppers too (we have tiddly ones) His garden is immaculate, stunning.

OH came back and picked up a bagful of cherry tomatoes to show them, much merriment, more rakia, what are they? They thought they were plums and were amazed when we said they were tomatoes which grow in a pot and hang down. Nobody speaks the other's language, just words here and there, but such laughter.

We came away with four large  tomatoes, five cucumbers, two peppers and two boxes of sweets. Bless them, we have such wonderful neighbours all round.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 15:40 »
Iv got loads of toms in the greenhouse but none have turned red yet  :( im feeding once a week with nettle tea is there anything else i need to be doing ? iv also taken off some leaves to let more sunlight in thanks for any help

Andy if it makes you feel any better, my toms (greenhouse only up here) are only just starting to appear - I have many more trusses to come before the plants are even mature, and I don't expect to start harvesting until at least August - maybe into September.  Where you live really makes a difference - I spend a lot of my time feeling envious of other forum members who are harvesting most things way before I am!

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 16:04 »
when we lived in Greece all our neighbours had them by the ton and even though we had our own we still got bags of them , my aunty doris eats them every day she swears by them and shes 100 this month .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 16:05 »

Andy if it makes you feel any better, my toms (greenhouse only up here) are only just starting to appear - I have many more trusses to come before the plants are even mature, and I don't expect to start harvesting until at least August - maybe into September.  Where you live really makes a difference - I spend a lot of my time feeling envious of other forum members who are harvesting most things way before I am!

I know just how you feel.  :D

andy dewar

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 16:30 »
Ok folks thanks for the replies il just have to be patient lol

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 16:32 »
I have plenty on mine, but they need another couple of weeks before they start turning red, keep watering and feeding, and in a few weeks time you will have too many to know what to do with, I'm making more tomato and chilli chutney this year
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 16:32 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 16:46 »

I know just how you feel.  :D

As do I!

If I lived just 2 km from where I live, the last frost would be six weeks earlier and the first frost six weeks later. One the old boys in the local town who's a good friend of mine tells me he's been picking tomatoes for a month. Mine are still green and not even fully developed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 17:34 »
Started picking a week ago, the Brooks's Special and Darby Green & Red Striped, but they were January sown seed. Not yet prolific enough to supply our needs.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 17:52 »
All of my 5 varieties were sown in early May - as ever the Red Alert are winning the race, despite being in an open cold frame rather than in the GH.

Nothing anywhere near ripe, although that's entirely as expected having not exactly tried to jump the gun this year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
toms

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 12:22
by DD.
xx
ph FOR TOMS

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 22:02
by richyrich7
xx
Toms outside

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 10:01
by maxibo
xx
my toms

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 10:22
by Y.E.A.H

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 30 queries.