How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Martin70

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 13:28 »
Yay, found my first ever green toms over the weekend - now there are quite a few appearing.

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 15:11 »
Started my alicante and minibels on 2nd feb on a south facing w/sill, both went onto the patio as soon as they could, alicante's are 3 foot with plenty toms fruiting and more flowers, minibels have gone mad, they're a foot high and look like they're going to outfruit the alicante's, plenty of cherry toms a-coming  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 16:19 »
I've had one very tasty black sea man tom so far but apart from that the plants aren't doing too well.  The lower leaves of the sea man have black spots over them so I'm a tad worried its infected with something nasty and I have quarantined it.  I have one marmalade tom almost ripe and a couple more growing so going to sample it this week.  The side shoots which I potted are coming on though, about a foot high so hopefully more flowers will come soon.  Any tips for encouraging flowering?
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 16:32 »
Any tips for encouraging flowering?

Feeding with liquid tomato feed  ;) The extra Potash (aka Potassium) usually does the trick  ;)

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 17:49 »
I've got lots of tiny little green gardeners delight - or should that be gardeners delights? - on most of my plants.  :) :) :)

9 plants indoors, 3 outdoors. Some are moneymaker. But outdoor ones are way behind.

Is now the time to pinch out the growing tip? And does that just mean lopping the top off? All my plants have four trusses now, some starting a fifth.

So excited, cant wait to taste my first homegrown ones.

Headgardener22

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 18:01 »
A LOT BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!!

Flowers on everything except Marvel Stripes. Fruit set on many different varieties. Plants are all about 3ft high and growing strongly.

How come some people already have fruit? I didn't get any until mid August last year (unheated greenhouse) and don't think it'll be any earlier this year as everything seems a couple of weeks later.

bravemurphy

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 18:31 »
My tigerella are going mad the third truss has got around 25 flowers on it (should I thin the truss out a bit ?)

Fruits swelling fast now cant wait.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 18:37 »
My Alicante, all outdoors, are still only about a foot tall but 1st trusses are forming. My plot neighbour says to spray them now. Do you think he is right?

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 18:46 »
My tigerella are going mad the third truss has got around 25 flowers on it (should I thin the truss out a bit ?)

Fruits swelling fast now cant wait.

My tigrellas are doing the same Murph. I'll leave the to see if there are any blind ones before thinning them down a bit. They certainly won't hold the weight if they all develop.

Agatha

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 16:56 »
Ooooh, I am so excited...I found my first tomato flower yesterday...it's so small I nearly need a magnifying glass to see it, but it's there.

And to think I said last year's tomatoes took a long time to get going... ::)
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Garryac

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 17:19 »
Mine are looking a bit spindly.. the ones in the Polly tunnel at the allotment are flowering and look better , the ones at home in the greenhouse are taller but no flowers yet

scott87

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 21:16 »
Hey, I had 3 red alert and 12 super marmalade. I gave all away bar one red alert as I went into hospital. I started harvesting a few ripe toms last week got another 29 yet to ripen. There's a few turning just need some sun

Scott

ermck1

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 21:38 »
None ripe yet but got fruits that are nearly there on Choc cherry, Jack Hawkins, tomaberry and a yellow one (mystery).
plants in greenhouse are at the top of 6ft canes.

Dont forget to feed them well now!

M

Totty

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 21:49 »
Have eaten 4 sungold now. The plant is in a tiny terracotta pot and getting fed every day.

Totty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 21:52 »
Have eaten 4 sungold now. The plant is in a tiny terracotta pot and getting fed every day.

Totty

Unless the feed specifically tells you to feed daily, this is not necessarily a good idea.

Overfeeding can lead to the plant being unable to absorb some of the nutrients which it needs.  And of course it costs more than it needs to.

Stick to the recommended feeding regime  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
Which Toms ?

Started by Dill The Dog on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 13:09
by digalotty
xx
how many toms??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 13:16
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 30 queries.