Beetroot in modules

• 9 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Beetroot in modules
« on: August 04, 2013, 20:09 »
My beetroot in modules are doing well, but the stems are prone to falling over under the weight of the leaves. Is this normal and will they pick up?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Beetroot in modules
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 20:15 »
I would have thought that modules were too small to "grow them on" with.. What size are the modules? I did modules to get them going then planted out..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 20:30 »
Same here, sowed my first beets in modules partly to get them started and partly 'cos the weather was pants earlier in the year, then planted out in a block formation. I have had some of the best beetroot ever. Possibly the weather had a good hand in it as well, but I will growe this way again next year
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 22:21 »
The modules are those with 15 to the size of a standard seed tray. They have only been planted 2 1/2 weeks.
I didn't sow direct because the bed wasn't ready. I'd got it prepared but wanted to give the growmore a couple of weeks to settle down.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 22:22 by A Reyt Tayty »

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 22:46 »
Just keep well watered then until ready to be planted out.

gavinjconway

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 00:02 »
Ok at 2-3 weeks mine were very much like yours and looked like weak long stems all lying around in the modules.  It's just how beetroot grow - all top end and nothing below.. But once you plant them out they will just go mad!!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13 »
Ok at 2-3 weeks mine were very much like yours and looked like weak long stems all lying around in the modules.  It's just how beetroot grow - all top end and nothing below.. But once you plant them out they will just go mad!!

How long would you give the in the modules GJC? I've read different theories. Some say when 6 true leaves are showing, some say 5 weeks regardless. I imagine they need to have a reasonable root system before attempting to remove from the modules?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 19:05 »
Don't worry.

Those slightly floppy stems will soon pick up once the cluster has been planted out.

I have grown mine like this for a while now and never looked back. They get planted out when the fibrous roots have filled the module (20 per half tray size) and then absolutely thrive and give really good sized crops too.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 23:00 »

How long would you give the in the modules GJC? I've read different theories. Some say when 6 true leaves are showing, some say 5 weeks regardless. I imagine they need to have a reasonable root system before attempting to remove from the modules?

I dont go by leaves... just planted them out when they looked big enough and my bed was ready... As sunny says they will grow on really well from being spindly and looking floppy..

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07 »
I left mine in modules for 4 months because the bed wasn't ready. I wouldn't do it normally (just before anyone points out that's way too long!) but I have had a fabulous crop from them, so leaving them languishing there did no harm at all.

xx
Beetroot in modules

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 08:03
by Springlands
xx
Want to try Beetroot in modules

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 18:15
by allotmentann
xx
Beetroot started in modules

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 16:45
by J_B
xx
Modules

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 20:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 35 queries.