Celery & celeriac pests / tips

• 3 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Celery & celeriac pests / tips
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:26 »
I've given up trying to grow celery from seed - they always seem to keel over when i transplant them... so I've bought some plants from the GC and they seem to be doing well on the plot - they've been in for a couple of weeks and are having a bit of a growth spurt.
I've also planted out some celeriac grown from seed - first time for me with that plant.

I put down slug pellets and beer traps - looking at the wikipedia page for blackfly, celery looks like a favourite of theirs - is that right? I've got a blackfly issue on my broadbeans (as many others seem to have this year) and the celery are very close to them but so far no sign of an infestation on them.

Pip pip,
Balders

gypsy

Re: Celery & celeriac pests / tips
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 14:01 »
Good luck with the celeriac. I have never grown them from seed, I bought some from a stall at a steam rally this yr, I thought they were doing well but now it looks like something has eaten 2 of them. Not slugs, possibly wood pigeon.
Catherine

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 15:49 »
I grew celery and celeriac last year and they both grew very well with plenty of watering. The celery didn't suffer any noticeable pests, but the celeriac roots seemed to have been attacked by a small burrowing pest leaving brown tracks through the root. I assume this was carrot root fly as the carrots got destroyed by these as well. I suppose netting is the only answer.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 17:55 »
I grew celeriac for the first time last year, well in fact it was my first time growing anything!  Grew from seed started off on a windowsill, far more than I could use and had no problems at all.  This years seem to be fine also but I do mulch with straw and put down the odd slug pellet, don't net.  Did get carrot fly on carrots but they didn't touch the celeriac. They like lots of water as others have said and pull off any side shoots and lower leaves as they grow.  Cost a bomb in the shops, next to nowt to grow.  Unfortunately OH not keen so end up giving some away.

xx
Celery celeriac

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:41
by sclarke624
xx
Celery and Celeriac

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 23:43
by Dora5
xx
Celeriac & celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:38
by compostqueen
xx
Celery and Celeriac

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2015, 17:01
by Puenktchen

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 29 queries.