Celery and Celeriac

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Celery and Celeriac
« on: September 08, 2015, 18:05 »
This is my first year for growing both the above and not sure what to do with them.  The stalks on the celery are pure green, I noticed a plot neighbour with newspaper wrapped around his, should I do the same to blanch them.  I can't see any bulb on the celeriac, is it too late now or is there something that I need to do to get a bulb?

Christine

Re: Celery and Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 19:08 »
From the RHS:
Celeriac is a moisture-loving plant that needs fertile, organic rich, moisture retentive soil and prefers full sun. Keep the soil constantly moist – it should never be allowed to dry out. Water before the onset of drought; mulching helps, too. Keep the ground weed free.

As the plants mature, remove the outer leaves as they fall horizontal, to expose the crown and allow it to develop. Remove side shoots if they appear.

I found this all to be true  - especially the watering.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 21:51 »
There are two types of celery: self-blanching and those that need to be blanched (covered from the light). It depends what type you have.

I've found that celeriac is not that easy to grow. It needs a very fertile soil, copious amounts of water and a long season.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 17:01 »
Celeriac should have a nice big swollen base (bulb) by now so if yours has none it is too late now to develop one. Celeriac needs a lot of water and warmth (I cover mine with fleece until at least June) and also needs to be sown very early (I sow mine in February) so it has time to develop, as the others said already.

xx
Celery celeriac

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:41
by sclarke624
xx
Celeriac & celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:38
by compostqueen
xx
Celery and Celeriac

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 23:43
by Dora5
xx
celery versus celeriac

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 17:30
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 36 queries.