:( dont want to do this but think i need to

• 24 Replies

clairerey

Re: :( dont want to do this but think i need to
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 21:17 »
foghorn-leghorn - Thanks another way i was looking at just now, it seems to be the easiest way for an inexperinced person to do it. Yeah they have definitely become family :)

storme37 - Id have no problem doing it but i would want to know amounts that i need to use and how do i get cat tranqualizer?

Chikee - i tried the pdsa and they dont deal with poulty, they would have been great as i dont work and am on benefits, so could have used them. Just found out that the rspca will put her down if shes an emergency, so need to contact them tomorrow,

Orchardlady - Great imformation thank - you. If the rspca dont deem her an emergency then i guess i have to help him :( ill just close my eyes.lol
thanks all xx
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 21:20 by clairerey »

chickee

• Just guarding . . .
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 21:19 »
I feel that somewhere over the last few years, farm animals are becoming pets and I think you have to honestly think how you would deal with the situation if it was a pet dog or cat or bird in a cage.

My advice now, having read about the injury to your hen, is to get the yellow pages out, ring every vet you can find, find the cheapest and take her there and put her out of her misery.  If you are in any doubt about if you are doing the right thing read the "5 freedoms" - you will probably find them on the RSPCA web site.

Chickee

clairerey

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 21:29 »
Chickee youve hit it right on the nose there. I had this conversation with my husband earlier as we had our beloved dog put down in january. He was a 12 year old alsation. The most wonderful family member i have ever had and it is still quite raw, we got the chickens as i know i will never, ever have another dog and i wanted a pet that i wouldnt become so attached to and as you all know that doesnt happen with chickens, they are wonderful too.
What makes it worse is that this hen was named after our dog, no animal is ever being named Buster again!
She is my 8 year olds hen, so im going to have to do this without her knowing that its coming :(
and yes you are completely right, we had our dog put down as his back legs were going and he was losing his bladder too often, no leese of life. I have to do what is right for this hen and i kind of feel that i am doing a misjustice to my dogs memory that i could put him down but i am having a hard time deciding on a chicken (as harsh as that sounds).
Someone come be strong for me please :)
I have honestly contacted a lot of vets but tomorow i will be ringing the rspca :)
claire xxx
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 21:37 by clairerey »

Colernehens

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 11:50 »
Hi I don't know if you have been able to find help yet, but I live towards Chippenham and there is an excellent  Vet there who we use (and sadly we had to have three of ours put to sleep this year - long story - it is on a post here somewhere).
This vet is very good and very reasonably priced, we know a good number of people with chickens who use them.
I know it may be a bit far for you to drive, but if you want to consider them then send me a pm and I'll give you their details.

I cried buckets each time so I totally understand how you feel.

Kind Regards

NormandyMary

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 15:10 »
Im positive that we all know what you're going through, I certainly do. I know that you have all our best wishes and thoughts for what you're going through.
Here's hoping that the RSPCA come up trumps. Shame on the PDSA for not helping. Im sure that you would have been prepared to make a small donation!
Anyway, I wish you all the very best, we are all thinking of you.

Mary.

clairerey

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 15:32 »
Thank-you so much all. it is so appreciated.
I left a message with the rspca and they never got back to me but i phones the farm that i bought her from and they told me to take her there. I dont even want to ask how they will do it to be honest as if its a way im not sure about then ill be back to square one, so ill just take her, they seems lovely.
thankyou colernehens, if this farm hadnt have offered i think i might have looked them up.

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 15:47 »
Have you checked out the list of poultry vets on this forum, it's on a Sticky in the poultry info section

My hens were attacked by a fox but were treated with antibiotics and recovered despite deep bite wounds and damaged wings etc, so maybe you should have got them treated earlier. Easy to say that now I know but if they were injured then they had to be either treated or despatched. You can't dither as the bird is suffering.  £80 is ridiculous but there will be better vets near you.

clairerey

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 22:25 »
There were no better vets near me. i rang every one in the yellow pages, the majority of them dont deal with poulty. i was surprised that the pdsa wouldnt even help. Didnt even think of taking her to a farm until the farm woman mentioned it to me today.
I rang around them all the morning that she was attacked, Theres probably some vets on the outskirts of Bristol city but i tried at least 40 that are within. The wound is from the other hen attacking her after i put her back with them after three weeks apart. She is absolutely fine in herself, hasnt shown one bit of pain and happily makes her way around the garden, eating and still pulling out my plants. If i had thought for a second she was suffering then id have done something that night. But she hasnt laid anything since the attack (dont think i would either), cant walk well with her right leg and has been constantly attacked by one other hen. So it was at the time really just a wait and see scenario. If she got better fully then brilliant, if not then this is this stage im at. I was hoping that with the progression she was making and with her being able to then stand and walk again that she might get better fully but i dont think she will progress much further than this. So there was no dithering involved, I spent days watching her and checking her to make sure that she was getting better and was in no pain. and to add the rspca will only put down an animal, they were also no help in getting her treatment.
Again, thanks to everyones advice.,
claire

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 00:51 »
This may sound funny but have you looked for any chicken breeders close to you i know there is a few they could do it with out a fuss i'm sure. My husband and I are a bit far to come out and do it.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

clairerey

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:15 »
Thanks, yeah im taking her to the farm that i bought her from this week.
claire xx

xx
i just dont know what to do

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 18:21
by karlooben
xx
Dont know what to do...?

Started by peewee_lane on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 14:43
by peewee_lane
xx
WHAT DONT THEY EAT?????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 00:29
by SUTTY1
xx
I dont know what i need and what to do?

Started by jack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 16:11
by jack

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 32 queries.