WHAT DONT THEY EAT?????

• 17 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
WHAT DONT THEY EAT?????
« on: December 19, 2009, 23:57 »
 :DI've had 6 exbats on my alotment since august, they have their own secure run 12x8feet but i like to let them roam as much as possible.(they deserve it) Been a real pain protecting plants,lol. So decided to fence up area including compost bins, shed, junky stuff etc but wiill have a bed 15 by 15 any ideas on flowers,plants or herbs that would/might survive the onslaught greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

MERRY Christmas ALL

Steve

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: WHAT DONT THEY EAT?????
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 00:30 »
or vegitables :happy: :happy:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:08 »
Anything prickly? My gooseberry bush is fine!! Not sure if it will last once there's fruit on it, though  :ohmy:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:34 »
mine ate everything apart from geraniums :D

bee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:05 »
Mine don't eat poppy leaves, but they went for foxgloves, even after it made one of them really sleepy. They leave geraniums alone, didn't touch chilies, or strawberry leaves. Assume they would have eaten the strawberries, however, but got the chooks after the season. Not keen on tomato leaves, but like tomatoes, green or otherwise. Both chickens are very enthusiastic gardeners in terms of turning over soil, so no good near any young plants. I found once the plants were taller than the chickens, they were left untouched.

LadyPluck

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:42 »
Mine have eaten all the leaves off my strawbs

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55 »
The problem is that plants they don`t eat they dig out to get to the worms underneath. Low coniferous plants last well but the chooks will sneak under these and lay their eggs where you cannot steal them as easily.  :)

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31 »
I have had my vine striped, bay bush is nearly gone, now they are starting on rosemary, nothing left in garden, i am going to fence half of my garden so i can grow spuds and cabbage.
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

raeburg

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 13:11 »
Mine have now started on the lavender bushes... Fragrant eggs perhaps :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 13:22 »
You mean yours are laying!! mine have stopped since we have had the snow  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:16 »
Mine are still laying, and are quite fussy about what they eat.

Turn their beaks up at the usual, eg lettuce and broccoli.  They do eat poppy leaves that seed in the stone wall, but don't get chance with foxgloves - I pull them out first (don't think they are good for chucks). 

I'm quite happy for them to rummage through the compost bins, but have separate closed bins for chicken 'debris', and separate bins in another part of the garden for anything that might harm - eg poisonous, spikey.

I've a couple of shrubs in my hen run, and they've survived, through a bit bare up to chicken height.  There is a bit of hopping and grabbing that goes on, but not enough to strip the leaves higher up, so if you want greenery, perhaps try woody shrubs, or by trial and error find perennials etc that they don't like.  I think it is very much down to individual taste, just as  it is with peeps.

SUTTY1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 20:05 »
SORRY LATE ANSWERING YOU ALL, AND THANKS FOR THE HELP. SOUNDS LIKE MY ONLY CHOICE SHRUBERY OR POSS SOME FRUIT TREES.!!  CAN TELL YOU MINE ATE THE GOOSEBERRYS ONCE THEY RIPE:)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 22:20 »
Your shouting.....you dont need to we are listerning :D

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52 »
They dont eat box hedging. holly is ok, Russian vine is eaten as far up as the chickens can jump.
I have a plant that they dont eat it has shiny leaves and looks quite holly like but isnt I think it is a type of viburnum. Bamboo is stripped, They ate the rushes round the pond but the ducks got the ivy. It is a case of experimenting. Firethorn seems to survive and the big evergreen white clematis seems to be ok also.
It is trial and error cause they will lull you into a false sense of security and then strip the plant bare.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05 »

It is trial and error cause they will lull you into a false sense of security and then strip the plant bare.

True,
I am starting to think that hens are psychic. Three times i`ve looked at plants and thought ' they haven`t  destroyed that plant yet' , 30 mins later it`s gone.

xx
dont know what to do,help??

Started by milly8 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:25
by milly8
xx
i just dont know what to do

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 18:21
by karlooben
xx
:( dont want to do this but think i need to

Started by clairerey on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 10:15
by clairerey
xx
Dont know what to do...?

Started by peewee_lane on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 14:43
by peewee_lane

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 37 queries.