What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #885 on: April 13, 2012, 20:24 »
Started off my new sealed compost bin with all of the last 2weeks kitchen waste.Then I got 30 rocket potatoes in.About time I hear you say :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Li

« Reply #886 on: April 13, 2012, 23:17 »
Nothing on plot but i did repot my sprouts cauli greyhound cabbage had a tidy of the plastic greenhouse to store all the trays x

AnneB

« Reply #887 on: April 14, 2012, 14:12 »
Had our association committee meeting, in the school plot's poly tunnel as it was throwing it down.  Now it's after Easter, the Saturday bacon sandwiches have started up again, so one bacon sandwich and a cuppa afterwards, when the rain had stopped.  Then sowed some beetroot and chard.   Noticed my parsnips that had come up last week have all disappeared.  How odd is that?  Will re-sow.

It then began to hail, so came home.  Took tomatoes out of propagator.

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2012, 14:26 »
in between a variety of fatherly duties i covered up the tips of my early red doy potatoes with a bit of soil. it is to be frosty here tonight no doubt.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #889 on: April 14, 2012, 14:43 »
Done some more edging and picked some more weeds for the fluff balls.

Need to find something cheap to go round the edges to stop it creeping back in cos I don't particularly want to have to do it again!

Charityuk

« Reply #890 on: April 14, 2012, 15:17 »
Cleared another 4 barrowfuls of stuff. Fed up with digging out roots.

Husband and kids finished second raised bed and planted Belana potato tubers.  Third bed screwed together but need to finish getting the roots out of the ground first -  if I'd known lovage was such a nightmare, i would have learned to like it...

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #891 on: April 14, 2012, 16:58 »
Went down to the plot with a sulky teenager who sat in the shed complaining of the cold for an hour until I'd finished and took him home. Was tempted to lock him in the shed and leave him but he'd have probably inhaled all the gas canisters from the stove or burnt the place down.

Whilst he was moaning I put in 4 fruit bushes and some comfrey plants, a nice gift from my plot neighbour. Turned the compost and lifted up the fleece coverings to discover that a lot has germinated during my week away. I've been itching to get to the allotment the entire time I was on my hols in Norfolk, but managed to appease the withdrawals by dragging my friends round various garden centres, under the pretext that they also had a cafe and a playbarn for the kiddies.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #892 on: April 14, 2012, 18:05 »
was fed up with the rain as i have been all week so though "right, thats it" and set off to the plot.

Saw lots and lots and lots of weeds coming through due to the rain but instead put a new fence up - something ive been meaning to do for a while as dogs (I think) keep coming onto my plot be inconsiderate owners. We are meant to have a no dog rule on site but some people dont do this - just the other day found a large present next to my raspberries......... >:( >:(

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #893 on: April 14, 2012, 18:18 »
was fed up with the rain as i have been all week so though "right, thats it" and set off to the plot.

Saw lots and lots and lots of weeds coming through due to the rain but instead put a new fence up - something ive been meaning to do for a while as dogs (I think) keep coming onto my plot be inconsiderate owners. We are meant to have a no dog rule on site but some people dont do this - just the other day found a large present next to my raspberries......... >:( >:(

that's so annoying. I take my dog down to the plot with me but he's securely attached to a stake and can't get near anyone else's plot.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #894 on: April 14, 2012, 19:04 »
to be honest its a bit of a joke. I dont actally like dogs that much in the first place (was bitten by a doberman when on my paperround as a kid!!!) and just the other day some bloke comes up with his dog running all over my plot miles in front oh him, barking and growling away. Not even a sorry or anything.
Spoken to the councillor who isnt interested.

allot2learn

« Reply #895 on: April 14, 2012, 19:30 »
The rule is enforced on our site and our lease states, "No pets or livestock."
One verbal warning, next time it's a written warning. If you bring the dog on again it's 28 days notice. I have two dogs and I don't need them with me on my plot.

Not everyone likes dogs and as an association we work for everyone's benefit.  :)

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #896 on: April 14, 2012, 19:56 »
Well almost done chopping the hedge, only got the front of the plot to do and help my neighbour with his side a little (as he has let the bramble grow and can't get into it to get to the hedge) and thats that done....except for the very big bonfire. Also cleared up the chunks of sandstone that I've been digging out of the plot (as its less than a spade depths down) and reaking ready for laying carpet along the hedge line for a path.

OH moved the last of the bricks required for our tyre stacks (for potatoes) and then did about 10 trips to the muck heap to ferry some well rotted horse manure round to the lottie to start filling the tyre stacks. Good stuff, looks like we might have potatoes planted tmoz.

Both of us were entertained by the newbie holders of the allotment opposite ours who were constructing a shed. It was a chuckle brothers attempt - to me, to you, to me...
Everything spotty....

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #897 on: April 14, 2012, 20:05 »
Well almost done chopping the hedge, only got the front of the plot to do and help my neighbour with his side a little (as he has let the bramble grow and can't get into it to get to the hedge) and thats that done....except for the very big bonfire. Also cleared up the chunks of sandstone that I've been digging out of the plot (as its less than a spade depths down) and reaking ready for laying carpet along the hedge line for a path.

OH moved the last of the bricks required for our tyre stacks (for potatoes) and then did about 10 trips to the muck heap to ferry some well rotted horse manure round to the lottie to start filling the tyre stacks. Good stuff, looks like we might have potatoes planted tmoz.

Both of us were entertained by the newbie holders of the allotment opposite ours who were constructing a shed. It was a chuckle brothers attempt - to me, to you, to me...

Old tyres are officially designated "Hazardous Waste" by Northampton Borough Council and are banned from all the allotment sites that they control.
I've not looked this up, but the chairman of our allotment association suggested that they leech toxic chemicals into the soil which get absorbed  by plants.

snowdrops

« Reply #898 on: April 14, 2012, 20:11 »
More early Rocket spuds in but rain stopped play with 2 more rows to go.Short rows I might add with 5 potatoes in each.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2012, 20:22 »

Old tyres are officially designated "Hazardous Waste" by Northampton Borough Council and are banned from all the allotment sites that they control.
I've not looked this up, but the chairman of our allotment association suggested that they leech toxic chemicals into the soil which get absorbed  by plants.

Interesting..... the main ingredient is vulcanized rubber and are fairly inert (which is why they don't rot!), but that said they still could leech chemicals I guess.... Obviously councils don't want them scattered on their sites as they are a pain to dispose of...

What do other people think/know?

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 32 queries.