What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Dopey113

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #915 on: April 15, 2012, 14:45 »
Covered everything with scaffolding fleece today (frost coming) did a bit on the front of the shed, found a few tree trunks and made a raised bed out of them, then put DPM under it and filled it up with well rotted compost, found some old trestles laying around on the lotty some one threw away, so I put them on the side of the shed.... thinking of putting my climbing Q cumbers on them, looked good in the end, for re used junk that is....  :lol:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

grendel

« Reply #916 on: April 15, 2012, 14:54 »
managed to do a bit more tidying in the garden, still cold.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #917 on: April 15, 2012, 14:57 »
made a third compost bin out of pallets, dug trenches and put my potatoes in, planted comfrey, checked on my seedlings and recovered with fleece. Dug out another bed which will be ready for my beans. Stood in the shed when the hail came down.

jmc1949

« Reply #918 on: April 15, 2012, 15:02 »
Dug over the borders in the back garden. Looks neat and tidy now.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #919 on: April 15, 2012, 16:01 »
Planted the last of my spuds, harveted some spring cabbage and gave them all a little feed, went home and tidied the garden and greenhouse a bit.

AnneB

« Reply #920 on: April 15, 2012, 16:42 »
Spent a good 45 minutes scooping out gallons of water from the flooded dug out section for the next raised bed at the bottom of the plot.  It has not dried out in 2 weeks.  Having a re-think as the clay is very near the surface at this point - we might put the greenhouse here and the new raised bed where the greenhouse was going to go at the other end of the plot.   OH did lots of digging and soil sifting at the top, but the soil was a bit damp really.  OH has built a huge diy soil sifter made of galvanised garden mesh in a frame made of scaffolding planks.  He props this up at an angle and just throws the soil at it.  Quite impressive.

Dug up lots of dandelions before they go to seed.  Sowed carrots (yellow and red) and parsnips and covered with my new veggie mesh.  Dug over the bed where the peas and beans are going to go.  Hoed the onions and garlic.  Picked some red celery which is still going strong from last year.

Came home and sowed leeks, red cabbage, bread seed poppies and some sunflowers.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #921 on: April 15, 2012, 18:17 »
earthed up my early spuds as coming through quite quick at moment was nice as sun was out , well that was till the clouds came over and hid the sun boy that wind was cold then :(
then it was time to go into the greenhouse nice and cosy in there potted on some sweet peppers and my tomatoes all coming on well  :nowink:
amber came up and helped pot on her pumpkins that was fun as she only four and half took longer to do them two then all the rest of my potting on  ::)
keep allotments alive grow your own

lizzie1982

« Reply #922 on: April 15, 2012, 19:15 »
Today we (hubby, me and 2 boys) dug over 2 beds and planted turnip seeds, poppy seeds and artichokes.
My youngest dug a hole and put bricks in it, and my eldest finished his hedgehog house. The boys also put their tadpoles/newtpoles into our pond, and caught shrimps and a fish in the brook- also now living in the pond!

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #923 on: April 15, 2012, 19:42 »
Continued on with the hedging - got the sides done and cleared (the bonfire is now absolutely huge). Only got half the front to do (about 3m in length) which will only need trimming.

Arranged with our stables owner that we could sling his son some money to get the muckstack ferried round and dumped over our hedge. Reckon that a couple of hours will get the whole stack moved. Probably about 20 tons.

OH got some potatoes planted in the tyre stacks - thanks for those who have researched the toxin leeching. As we grew some last year I didn't notice any difference in taste so I'm not particularly worried. Most of the potatoes are not close to the tyres and the stacks don't get waterlogged.

Planted my pumpkins in pots and stowed them in the greenhouse....can't wait for the crop.... roasted pumpkin and pumpkin soup.... yum..
Everything spotty....

Havengore

« Reply #924 on: April 15, 2012, 20:06 »
Planted two rows of red onions, even though hailstones were coming down towards the end! Ran for the shed, put the kettle on and all was right with the world.

Went home to make 3 pounds of beetroot & chilli chutney.  Will be perfect with some BBQ in a couple of months!

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #925 on: April 15, 2012, 20:08 »
tightened up the new fence i just imstalled around the plot (hoping it lasts at least a season!!!)

Raked over all the beds

Bought more compost but didnt have time for my next batch of sowing so thats tommoros job

snowdrops

« Reply #926 on: April 15, 2012, 20:35 »
Put another 3 short rows of rocket spuds (15). Then dug out some compost from the finished bin & tipped onto potato bed ready to use to earth up with. Then laid a row of slabs in front of the raspberries with the help of PP who carried the slabs nearer to where I needed them. Thanks PP. Then came home & gave the grass it's 2nd cut of the year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #927 on: April 15, 2012, 20:47 »
Did... nothing effectively!

Discovered on my plan (after going shopping down Tragos today and buying 24  7 ft canes) that I haven't even accounted for space for my climbing beans!!!
How on earth did I forget them!? :blink: :unsure:

At times like these I need more room!! :wub:

Had a chat to the 'ladies' - they were rosey merrily!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #928 on: April 15, 2012, 21:02 »
Finished weeding the onion patch
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #929 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47 »
hoed the shallots garlic and peas

put up 4 new flags as the weather since 2010 has battered the old ones

made tea pottered about

and i am now having a pint of old peculiar

one day i will post some pics  ;)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

79 Replies
Last post August 26, 2024, 20:02
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 37 queries.