What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1650 on: June 23, 2013, 16:48 »
Weeded my carrots, measured up the space for my shed, spread a few slug pellets and a bit more general weeding here and there.

My Florence fennel is doing very well, scorzonera not so well.  Went to my other plot yesterday, weeded loads and harvested lettuce and radish.  One of the lettuce varieties is radicchio, it's flipping awful stuff, very disappointing.  It's a bit like rocket, another crazy salad leaf.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1651 on: June 23, 2013, 17:36 »
o/h weeded the garlic bed whilst I sorted the greenhouse out. Then we made a make shift mini poly tunnel for the b/nut squash, as they really don't seem to have done much since being planted out due to the terrible weather. and then covered the sweetcorn with netting to stop the pesky pigeons pulling them up.  Finished with some general tidying and planted a few more runner bean seeds to plug the gaps. (Damn slugs)

Should have planted the leeks out as well, but 3.5 hours was enough as I had plenty to do at home this afternoon.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1652 on: June 23, 2013, 17:58 »
I managed to convince a friend with the lure of freshly picked strawberries to come and help me tackle the newly acquired 1/2 plot this morning.

After a quick tour of my other 2 plots, we were hard at work. So hell bent on digging, my slave friend managed to break the handle on one of the 'left by previous plot holders' forks  :blink:

I had to redesign the blueberry raised bed netting system as the wind was blowing the bamboo canes left, right and centre. The cable ties and even more bamboo canes came out, I may have to try and build a proper fruit cage next year.

Checked on plot 2 later on in the afternoon and the door to the metal shed has been blown of its hinge, breaking the plastic clips,  will have to try and find replacements as they are used to move the doors in their runners...

Flowertot

« Reply #1653 on: June 23, 2013, 18:50 »
My little helpers and I weeded around the little one's peas, gave them pea sticks and netted them.  He is very proud of them  :) we then inspected the damage caused by slugs and onion fly  :( :mad: before being blown off the plot...

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #1654 on: June 23, 2013, 19:22 »
Finally got around to covering the kale, cabbages and caulies with the netting we bought with a discount from this site  :D  Covered the strawberries with netting to stop the birds from eating 'em. Dug up LOADS of burdocks, creeping buttercups and mares tails  >:(

seaside

« Reply #1655 on: June 23, 2013, 19:27 »
Did absolutely nothing as I decided to work today given the wind and rain forecast. As it turned out, the weather wasn't that bad.

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1656 on: June 23, 2013, 20:17 »
Went down to the plot after being away for a week in wall to,wall sunshine and 30 degrees.amazed how in a week how much the plot can change. Did a lot and I mean a lot of weeding and hoeing. Rocket and spinach was going to seed so cleared them up, with compost heap gaining. Have rocket seeds ready to sow tomorrow. Will plant Dwarf beans from seed trays also tomorrow. Will continue to work on sowing seeds to replace those harvester. Lots of watering and tied in tomatoes and pinched out side shoots. Will look at potatoes on a regular basis to spot for signs of blight at it has struck for the last two years.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1657 on: June 23, 2013, 21:30 »
Nothing at the plot as work continued in the garden.  Cut back a weigela which had got very leggy, plus a big trim of the fatsia and a big weeding session.  Twenty compost bagfuls of prunings later, we had finished.  It looks like a trip to the tip is in the offing tomorrow.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1658 on: June 23, 2013, 23:25 »
An odd weather day - threatening to but not actually raining. I hand weeded out Every Single Alien from the potato bed and fed the potatoes. Hopefully they will get a shuftie on now it's warmer. Painted boards, chatted to neighbours, picked broad beans, chard, & radishes and planted out my courgettes. Picked some strawberries and ate a couple stuffed into a C*dbury's mini roll - heaven!  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #1659 on: June 23, 2013, 23:38 »
Nothing at the plot as work continued in the garden.  Cut back a weigela which had got very leggy, plus a big trim of the fatsia and a big weeding session.  Twenty compost bagfuls of prunings later, we had finished.  It looks like a trip to the tip is in the offing tomorrow.

Stick those prunings through a shredder and add them to your compost heap. Saves on driving time / petrol and adds to the garden in return.

Waste not want not.  ;) A brilliant soil improver!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

grendel

« Reply #1660 on: June 24, 2013, 13:52 »

Purposely off topic:

Grendel please let us know (somewhere or other) about the job interview. CAD! Clever chap!!
just had a phone call  :) dont know the start date yet, but was asked for my address to send the contract to  :)

on the plot front nothing today, but I have tidied up in the garden and taken down 2 of the 4 sets of shelves in the garden, only a few plant left to go from pot to plot.
Grendel
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 13:54 by grendel »
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

snowdrops

« Reply #1661 on: June 24, 2013, 14:08 »

Stick those prunings through a shredder and add them to your compost heap. Saves on driving time / petrol and adds to the garden in return.

Waste not want not.  ;) A brilliant soil improver!!

Yes I agree & was going to suggest it,plus it's amazing to see a huge pile of prunings go down to such a small pile of shreddings.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #1662 on: June 24, 2013, 14:09 »

Purposely off topic:

Grendel please let us know (somewhere or other) about the job interview. CAD! Clever chap!!
just had a phone call  :) dont know the start date yet, but was asked for my address to send the contract to  :)

on the plot front nothing today, but I have tidied up in the garden and taken down 2 of the 4 sets of shelves in the garden, only a few plant left to go from pot to plot.
Grendel
Let me be the first on here to congratulate you. You must be thrilled. How long have you been out of work? Such a relief for you.

grendel

« Reply #1663 on: June 24, 2013, 14:35 »
well the last year I have technically been employed but only on a pay as you go basis and the work has been thin on the ground ( a couple of hours work this year), which has given me the time to work on the allotment more regularly, at least almost everything is in the ground now, so the long work days hopefully wont impact too badly, quick visits on the way home from work and weekends, much as previous years when I was working, ah well.
Grendel

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1664 on: June 24, 2013, 17:14 »
Quick pop to the plot today to do a bit of watering and to drop off two wooden arches that had previously been in my garden.  Luckily, I managed to lift the arches off the roofrack without them breaking!  I then harvested some mange tout and the first of my courgettes!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 30 queries.