What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1620 on: June 20, 2013, 18:23 »
oday I had a 'procedure' as they like to call them now-a-days, so wasnt really upto much, just a little water here and there. I did however sow some chard (rhubarb something or other).

My plot neighbour has put use to some of the 'muck' I dug out for the chicken area (saves me trying to hid it in the kids area). I also noticed that my currents are doing well and my strawbs just need a bit of colour :)

2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #1621 on: June 20, 2013, 18:31 »
Today I harvested half a kilo of new potatoes for tomorrow's lunch and swoed all of the weeds out as far as I could reach. Planted out some French beans that I had grown at home, noticed flowers on the b beans  :D. Strawberries just need a bit of colour at home - can't wait to eat them. All in all a good day.
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1622 on: June 20, 2013, 20:19 »
Hubby took the cold frame bottoms to the plot to store as they are empy. Also moved the three last trays of sweetcorn up, they will sit in the cold frame bases as a bit of wind shelter so hopefully they will come on ok.

Now hes fiddling, not doing much just pottering but we all need a potter once in awhile.  :lol:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1623 on: June 20, 2013, 20:45 »
Spent most of the day slaving in the garden, trying to get it tidy as it has been neglected with us taking on the new plot this year.  I cut back the speckled laurel at the bottom of the garden to a sixth of its size and cleared broken pots and seed trays from my potting area.  I also started clearing the pile of birch "twiggy pea sticks" which I hadn't got around to using. 

All this was put into 20 compost bags and 17 were loaded into my Dad's car and taken to the tip.

I then called in at the plot on the way home.  I started by watering the greenhouse and newly planted plants.  I then harvested artichokes, mange tout and gem lettuces.  I also picked a tiny posy of sweet peas.  It is incredible, the tomatoes, runner beans, broad beans, sweet peas and mange tout have grown at least 6 inches since the weekend, as have the potatoes and squashes.  What a difference some sunshine and warm temperatures makes.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1624 on: June 20, 2013, 21:05 »
A quick check up on the fruit plot and noticed that the kiwi vines were in flower  :)

The bees were loving the tayberry in flower

Never seen an Olive tree in flower, it's gorgeous

Blueberries are coming along nicely, so much so they were netted to stop the blackbirds having a party

and picked my first punnet of strawberries :). Plot two the veg plot acquired in Jan has purple sprouting ready to cut and plot three given to me 4 weeks ago, well that's what I am currently planning, pen and paper at hand whilst armed with a lovely glass of vino. The potted dwarfing and miniature fruit trees can now be planted and I am thinking a small wildlife garden would be beneficial....

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1625 on: June 20, 2013, 21:14 »
Ohh forgot to mention earlier that the asparagus has started sprouting (was only planted about 7 weeks ago).

Chaz1985 - loving the pics looks great

Garryac

« Reply #1626 on: June 20, 2013, 21:23 »
Lots of tidying digging compost bin building planting watering etc etc .... on all three plots there from 7.30am till 3.30pm...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
comp.jpg
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 21:25 by Garryac »

miggs

« Reply #1627 on: June 21, 2013, 07:41 »
Spent a few hours there last night, just tidying and hoeing everywhere really. As the shallots had started to go to seed, picked them as I was leaving. They are now drying out.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1628 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37 »
I sowed a third black bin of carrots at home. Given up doing them on the plot.
I sowed rainbow carrots again. They all seem to be doing great so i am doing a tub every few weeks  :D

Hubby admitted he did little last night apart from talk manure with his mate  ::)

grendel

« Reply #1629 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23 »
just back from the plot, having left home at 8am, did a bit of weeding, dug some more of the strawberry bed, each forkful has to be gone through, deweeded, derooted and destrawberried, so progress is slow, spotted the leeks were starting to get scapes, so they came out and got cleaned up to bring home. hard work, and back is now aching, still got a bucket of strawberries to plant.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #1630 on: June 21, 2013, 12:48 »
The mange tout and sugar snaps have taken off now, so I picked about 30 yesterday evening.....

Nearly got a few Kohl Rabi ready too....
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1631 on: June 21, 2013, 16:59 »
A relaxing couple of hours today.

I lifted the netting on my main crop brussles, removed the netting from my leeks, a bit of weeding and planted 8 seedlings (what they are I cant remember because I am a newbie useless and forgot to write it down - see pic). I also sowed some iceberg seeds and placed a plastic cloche over them.

What is this, anyone know?

Lastly, I sorted out the wood for the concreting for the chook coop & run.

And just to make the dinner a bit nicer this evening, a harvest of salad leaves :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1632 on: June 21, 2013, 20:53 »
Well poor hubby didnt get his night on the plot.
He bathed and put florence to bed, left for plot.
She threw up take one, had to call hubby home to help. Stripped cot, her, put back to bed.
Left for plot again.  ::)
30 mins later action replay she threw up, covered everything. Called hubby to help, stripped bed, cot, her. Put her on our bed and action replay, strip our bed.  ::)
Settled, hubby grabbed coffee and left.
10 mins later action replay again ( what number is that) lol  :lol:
Stripped cot and child.  ::)
Back to bed. Left hubby on plot this time.  ::) tonight is just not meant to be a good night.
And all the time the weeds carry on growing.  ::)

Praying, and crossing everything we dont get another action replay, i have run out of pjs and cot sheets.  :lol:
And to think tonignt was meant to be my night on the plot.  :lol:
All poor florence was worried about was the " peas in her bed"  :ohmy: i think i have gone off peas.

snowdrops

« Reply #1633 on: June 21, 2013, 21:05 »
Oh poor house of BQ. Do you think she has a bug or is it all part of the reactions she's been having?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1634 on: June 21, 2013, 21:17 »
Hubby has just finished his bucket of weeds and is coming home. Lol
I will go up early morning and do tonights un-done bits.
So much to do and so many little hiccups to go wrong along the way.
No idea of cause she may just be run down from having a bad week i suppose.  :mellow:

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 37 queries.