What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1635 on: June 21, 2013, 22:20 »
Dropped our teenager Florence to a party (may be doing a Beetroot Queen later <poor love>, depends how much Flo has to drink  :nowink:) and stopped by the lottie on the way back as didn't get a chance earlier.

Thought I'd tackle a bit more couch, and was surprised it came up really cleanly -the soil underneath is lovely and rich, so need to plan what's going in there carefully. I have a load of di Nizza cues ready or a few Roma toms..... may have to think through the slug 'arrangements' better if it's cues as it's right near the water tank (which will be handy  ::))

Flowertot

« Reply #1636 on: June 21, 2013, 22:31 »
Weeding...weeding...and then some more weeding!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1637 on: June 22, 2013, 10:28 »
Arrrrghhhh got onto the plot, pulled a bucket of weeds, could have done another dozen believe me, and then hubby and florence arrived and five mins later so did the rain. We all got wet, hubby loaded 8 large rubber trugs into car and took them to the dump. We are still clearing thats not just weeds.  :lol:

I had so many jobs to do, may try and get back up later. Potted up seven more cabbage at home ready to fill gaps were mine got taken by slugs  >:(

Oh and repotted my tub of lettuce got knocked off the wall by the cat  >:( silly creature, thats twice she has done it, its now on the floor. Will she leave it alone probably not.  ::) she will go to the naughty step if she does it again, three strikes and your out in this house

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1638 on: June 22, 2013, 12:55 »
I couldn't get to the plot as planned this morning, thanks to the torrential rain here.

Instead, I decided to try to propagate some basil today from a pot I bought from the supermarket yesterday.  So, I put some shoots into water to hopefully root so I can plant in the GH.

Really hoping to get to the plot tomorrow to get the sweetcorn planted.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

grendel

« Reply #1639 on: June 22, 2013, 13:10 »
I havent been to the plot, my back is still aching from yesterdays digging, but I did get some epsom salts from boots for my potatoes.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1640 on: June 22, 2013, 13:35 »
Went to the plot, looked forlornly at my cut spud plants and then set about clearing more of the jungle. Got another 2m by 1.5m strip done (and 4 wheelbarrow loads of weeds/roots). While checking on my courgettes (still lots of flowers and no fruits) a 7-8ft branch fell on my head from the tree above (luckily the branch was only an inch or so thick). This is part of the tree the council has assured me is 'perfectly safe' and does not need to be trimmed despite the fact it is so lopsided. Needless to say lots of photos were taken and I will be e-mailing them later

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1641 on: June 22, 2013, 15:47 »
Got back from a week in Brixham and started weeding..everything grows so much in a week

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1642 on: June 22, 2013, 18:14 »
Planted two savoy seedlings and a PSB after the birds attacked them a few weeks ago, the others pulled through but these didnt - at least these should fruit and need harvesting later :)

Also, I managed with some great assistance to concrete the foundations for the chicken run

2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1643 on: June 22, 2013, 20:19 »
Nothing  >:( , had to deal with a hungover teenager  ::)  On the bright side found a seed envelope package I forgot to open hidden down the back of the sofa whilst looking for something- some Rapini (60 day maturing broccolli) and some purple top milans.  Will pop those in tomorrow hopefully.

grendel

« Reply #1644 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23 »
early start this morning, planted out 15 cabbage / cauli plants, then a bit more weeding of the strawberry bed, after which I weeded the peas and beans, picked a few mange tout that I spotted while weeding (to enjoy an early feast) watered the potatoes  with epsom salts (though its the other half plot that really needs it as that is the plot where the potatoes are showing signs of magnesium deficiency). then home by 9.30, 1 1/2 hours on the plot this morning before it started getting too warm.
Grendel

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1645 on: June 23, 2013, 11:15 »
Hubby did an hours digging but he said the oatch he picked was hard work. Its blowing a gale here so no more plot till tonight as hubby is off to do a car boot. We are clearing a very small patch in the loft, a very small patch indeed, yet we have filled the citroen c8  :blink:

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1646 on: June 23, 2013, 11:35 »
Harvested some salad leaves for the parents & checked on my concrete.....pretty much nothing more I could do today (possibly sow some more radish lol) due to feeling rubbish and the weather being even worse lol

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1647 on: June 23, 2013, 14:07 »
Went down this morning to see the havoc that the wind has done - surprised to find minor damage only despite wind gusts of reportedly 80mph+ and wind average at 40mph.

grendel

« Reply #1648 on: June 23, 2013, 15:21 »
popped up the other plot and gave the tattys there a dose of epsom salts, planted 10 tomato plants and picked some more  mange tout.
Grendel

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1649 on: June 23, 2013, 15:55 »
Nothing today, did pop in to have a look. Very windy and raining off and on.

Yesterday was productive though, lots of weeding / sorting out and another bed dug ready for squash. One of the families came down to give their plot up which is a shame, they were a nice family and put a lot of work into the plot when they got it last year but work commitments got in the way this year and it looks like a meadow. On the positive side, I inherited a nearly full roll of water pipe and probably 20m of debris netting they didnt want & a fancy dibber, did offer cash but wouldnt take any, nice people :) Came at the right time as I'm skint and need to plant 100 squash which all need to be netted.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 36 queries.