If ever i needed help!They are home.

• 99 Replies

FRUITFULL

Re: If ever i needed help!They are home.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 17:24 »
Thanks Vember i will give it a go.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 17:29 »
OK im keeping calm but im sure one of them has just poohed blood,the chick is about 3 days old,i bought some coxoid from the lady coz she was saying this happens so i got ripped off with a dribble in a bottle but thought best to get it incase.
deary me is this bad or really bad?iv mixed some up in the water but they are not drinking yet!
Im sure everything will be fine but im so new to this and just want to do the best i can.
By the way my 12 year old Staffy has bonded with them  :D

Vember

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 18:08 »
Have you tried tapping your finger in the water dish Fruity?
They will think it's mummy hen and should come to see what your doing then start drinking.

If the water dish shallow? Best not to have it too deep :)

Sarah :)

Jellyhead

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 18:18 »
Tapping works for food or water Fruity. I am sure they will be fine. Its hard work being a Mummy hen aye Fruity, I still cluck like no ones business when there are babies about :ohmy: :D sad but true ;) I am sure they will be fine.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

FRUITFULL

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 18:30 »
UPDATE...i have bathed little one and got all the mess off,dry and sleeping now.No more red poohs so far.Water dish shallow and will try the tapping!temp is 29 deg is that ok?the slightly bigger ones are sleeping in one group to one side of the light and the tinys are under the light.  :D they are just so cute,me and the dog are camping on the floor next to them,oh and i had a carpet picnic next to them(low fat jells!)and after 12 years just discovered my doggy doesnt like brown sauce,i never new that! :D
ok my babies are calling must go..this is great. :D :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 19:05 »
How lovely Fruity :D My little staffy Molly, died last year aged 14, wonderful wonderful dog, loved her to bits but she was heh hem completely Mollycoddled and would probably have eaten them...............not fried of course ???

FRUITFULL

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 20:21 »
Same here jelly.Rosie the dog is treated like a princess,she is such a loving good girl.Blimey cant imagine not having her!
All the chicks seem settled now and snoozing which is what i need after todays dramas. :D
Happy Easter  :D

raeburg

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 20:29 »
Some chick crumb comes with coxoid treatment already in it (the stuff I had does).  Sometimes the pooh can look alarmingly reddish.  Keep an eye on them and good luck :)

Foxy

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 21:38 »
Hi fruitfull, chicks that are only 3 days old wont have cocci. What chick crumb have you got? It is not a  good idea to use medicated chick crumb and cocci treatment.
Make sure they are warm -if they are quiet under the heatlamp heads pointed outwards they are fine. Any high pitched cheeping means they are cold or distressed.

Big Jen

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 21:47 »
Hi Rae, glad you are enjoying your babies. Dont worry too much about the pastey bums its quite common but make sure you clean it off regularly otherwise they will die :(
I have a Staffy as well, see my avatar. She is frightened of my chicks :nowink: :nowink:

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 10:26 »
Sounds like it is going well Fruity. We had a bit of washing/bathing to do as they pood on each other sometimes or ate too much fruit/veg (wk 2) and got a bit sticky
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Moosey

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22 »
Well done Fruity!  I sooooo want Chicks.  Good luck with them  :D :D :D
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 16:26 »
Bad news.We lost the little baby that had the poohy bottom this morning and now the 4 day old one who has been poohing blood is getting week,shes seperated in a shoe box under the lamp but its not looking good,i gave her water from a little pupeet thingy as shes very weak.The other 6 are fine and dandy and have eaten a boiled egg (hope thats ok as the supplier told me to give it)
They have chick crumbs with the medication already in it and also the medication i have put in the water.Is this ok or too much?no sign yet of the others poohing blood just that one!
My dog has taken to laying next to thier home to look after them when im downstairs.

Vember

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 16:32 »
Sorry about little pooy bum Fruity :(

If they are having medicated Chick Crumbs then give them just plain water to drink :)

Something in my mind say's that one cancels out the other and then neither work ???
Might be wrong there but I would definitely only give Crumbs not the stuff in the water as well :)

Sarah :)

FRUITFULL

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 19:19 »
We are down to 6 littlans now  :( but they are full of beans  :D changed the water to fresh.Thanks vember.
I hope things run smooth now. :D will get the camera out and get clicking  :D :D

xx
new home needed

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 21:26
by naturesparadise
xx
Home needed

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:32
by Foxy
xx
New home desparately needed for 4 or 5 hens

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 14:40
by Jellyhead
xx
URGENT HELP PLEASE- HOME FOR 4 GIRLS NEEDED NOW! LINCOLNSHIRE AREA

Started by Dabhand on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 09:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.