Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?

• 25 Replies

LilacSandy

Re: Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 16:32 »
The next time I find any at the G Centre I will grab some and put in the seed parcel if  it is still going, or as long as I do not get it myself.

If you can get some more Sandy, hang on to them.  Cauli seeds should last for about 5 years if stored well!

I will be interested to see what happens with these GrannieAnnie as I do not have club root and would never have bought them had I looked closely at the packet as they do state how many are in there.  I am rubbish at growing Cauliflower so I will see if these do any better against the bog standard All Year Round I will be growing at the same time.  I had also brought a packet of Purple Grafitti which has 20 seeds for my 50p and have started 10 of these off as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 17:16 »
Must admit I tend to grab any expensive seeds I see in the 50p sales as unopened, I find they last way beyond the sow by dates. 

I find mini cukes and some of the new F1 types are about the most expensive seeds as well JayG, but as they are so prolific I tend to buy a single 9cm mini cuke plant if I want them. 

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 19:00 »
If you are buying seeds for allotment size growing.

Then i can recommend kings seeds they have a seed catalouge that is sent out to allotment associations and groups with discount costs ..
ask if your allotment has a account.

They are also on the web..

Average cost  £1.40 - £1.99  for general seed packets.  also herb and flower seeds..
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 19:10 »
I still maintain that for most seeds in bulk, Moles are one of the best values around.

Two common seeds taken at random:

Carrot, Autumn King:

Kings: 10,000 for £3.35
Moles: 20,000 for £2.60

Cabbage, Durham Early

Kings: 500 for £1
Moles: 3,000 for £1.90

I think some allotment associations deal with Moles and they also get a discount from them.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

allot2learn

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 19:29 »
I agree with DD. I bought, amongst other seeds, my Hurst Greenshaft peas from moles.........................around 5,000 for £4.45.

LilacSandy

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:27 »
Hi, Just to say that all 10 of the Purple Graffiti have germinated and 10 of the 11 Clapton

Totty

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 20:38 »
You get what you pay for! For example, you can get a packet of old Bedford strain sprouts for less than a quid or you can pay three times as much for an f1 that will crop heavier, taste better and not blow. The breeders don't cross pollinate  so that they can sell them for more, the do it to produce a better, more efficient and reliable product. In the majority of instances i  think the more expensive seeds are worth it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 22:00 »
You get what you pay for! For example, you can get a packet of old Bedford strain sprouts for less than a quid or you can pay three times as much for an f1 that will crop heavier, taste better and not blow. The breeders don't cross pollinate  so that they can sell them for more, the do it to produce a better, more efficient and reliable product. In the majority of instances i  think the more expensive seeds are worth it.
I did't think we were only discussing the variation in price between varieties, but more the price variances between suppliers.

I fail to undestand when the same F1 variety is sold at a wide range of prices between suppliers.

Take Minicole F1 cabbage for example -  70 seeds £3.55 (suttons) 40 seeds £3.49 (T&M) and 75 seeds £1.59 D T Brown. I know which appears best value to me :)
It's up to you which supplier you use, but I think it's worth checking your list over a range of suppliers and checking the price difference, before you buy ;)

allot2learn

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 23:11 »
I agree with MOS on this, and I also think that a lot of the time customers are paying for glossy catalogues and fancy websites.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54 »
F1 seeds are always going to be more expensive than open pollinated types due to the labour-intensive special techniques required to produce them. The special characteristics which the seeds offer can make the difference between whether you can grow the plants in marginal climates or not (eg sweetcorn), in other cases they have higher resistance to certain pests or diseases, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Both of these must be considered worth paying for if their attributes are relevant to you.

Others, like the parthenogenic F1 cucumbers I have already mentioned are a bit harder to assess in terms of value - there are other non-F1 cucumbers to choose from which are probably just as easy to kill but at a much lower cost!

In terms of suppliers, there is only one "garden centre" seed company I have my doubts about (but not enough evidence to "name and shame"), otherwise I've bought from far and wide and have yet to regret shopping around for the best value.   :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:54 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 16:04 »
IMO DT browns offer good value and excellent customer service

xx
Old seeds - is it worth a punt?

Started by gingerplant on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy
xx
Worlds most expensive Tomatoes !!

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 13:46
by ColinGrigson
xx
The worlds most expensive leek?

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 20:20
by Ian_P
xx
expensive F1 tomato seed tip

Started by pushrod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 31 queries.