Clearance advice

• 18 Replies

Windsong

Re: Clearance advice
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44 »
@potatogrower - That is exactly what we've done so far. A mixture of letting the sun dry the roots out and throwing away the clumps of soil that were nothing but big root balls. We're getting there slowing but surely and I'm finding muscles I never knew I had lol.

We have an apple tree at the top of our plot that provides some nice shade (will be better once the leaves grow some more) and there is a 4x6 hardstand underneath it where the shed used to be, so we're going to put a bench there. For now we're just sitting on a tarp lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone! And it's been really helpful and motivating to hear your stories as well.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:08 »
you will defo find new unknown muscles  :D

i think its best that way, as you don't rattle the clumps to bits only to find the little roots that fall out settle in and grow again.

Its all good fun and once you have cleared it all, it looks rewarding seeing it clean.

what ever you don't try not to put down any manure bought from shops or stables this year, only when winter approaches. i did that this weekend and what a big mistake!  :wacko:  all these bronze coloured flies came and started mating and maybe laying eggs in the soil. where are the blooming pesky birds when you need them!  >:(

PG

impossible5072

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 14:09 »
Potato grower your advice was lovely, keeping the children and themselves covered up how thoughtful, and as for muscles my bottom and thighs are killing me I find it easier to squat because of my back or to kneel, but my thighs wow they are sore.  And guess what I did the same thing I bought shop farmer manure from B & Q and set an asparagus bed up for my litle seedlings there are flies every where i am tempted to stand there with a fly swat and see how many i can get but they are small like midges maybe the ones I have are midges. 

I am very proud of my husband and I am very proud of myself we are doing so well and absolutely every species we have put to seed has grown I feel like growing mama.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 20:21 »
thanks impossible, have to look after kiddies, they're the future. plus sun stroke and sun burn can be bad experience for them.

I only buy the commercial manure due to lack of time and free manure is quite some distance from me which also needs time to break down. checked the manured section today readying for the Brussels sprouts and no more flies, seem to have disappeared altogether but it does smell a lot less than yesterday :wub:

always squat down to work rather than bend over to pick ,have to keep an eye on the back too when pulling those pesky weeds and lifting the clumps.

its all good fun  :happy:

PG

xx
clearance by burning?

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:40
by potatogrower
xx
Plot re-clearance (with pics)

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 20:30
by SkipRat
xx
Weed clearance the organic way.

Started by matty007 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 18:45
by oldbean
xx
New Plot, No dig ground clearance

Started by richardeallen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:48
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 36 queries.