Weed clearance the organic way.

• 26 Replies

matty007

Weed clearance the organic way.
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:02 »
Hello folks.

I have recently aquired a plot in my home town of Lincoln which is absoultely covered in various weeds. I really wanted to keep the plot organic so I started skimming the top layer and piling up the weeds to be burned, but as soon as I get one area clear the other is covered again in weeds!!. I really didnt want to have to resort to weed killer, but im starting to think its the only option now!. I was wondering if there is such a thing as organic weedkiller of perhaps some that is less dangerous to wildlife.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful

Thank you

Matt.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Weed clearance the organic way.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16 »
hoeing (spelling?!) the cleared areas on a regular basis will help with the annual weeds but the perrenials will need their roots digging out, buy skimming the top you may be leaving tap roots behind.

i am preety sure organic weed killers dont exist.

we have to learn to live with weeds to a certain degree as we will never be totally free of them, just keep at it

Teabag

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19 »
Are you allowed livestock on your plot,a couple of pigs will get everything out and manure it at the same time.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:22 »
Once you have cleared an area, cover it with a light-impenetrable membrane.  It will kill off the top growth, and give you time to dig out the roots at your leisure without being constantly battling the annuals.

matty007

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35 »
Thank you folks.

Ill keep chipping away and see how I get on.

Has anybody used weedkiller?. Is it as harmful as people make out?.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I want to make sure I get this right!.

Thank you.

Ropster

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:45 »
I use weed killer, (Roundup) and it is harmfull to plants, I dont know about the effects on anything else, some say it is harmfull some say it isnt

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 13:06 »
When I first got my plot 3 years ago it was in a state, I used roundup to clear it and have never looked back since. Roundup is supposed to become safe when it comes in contact with the soil and claims to be organic. In my opinion use it to get your plot under control then in future be as Organic as you wish.
Paul

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 13:16 »
Get your hands on whatever old tarpaulins, sheeting, carpets you can and cover the area you're not working on, this will kill some of the weeds and slow down a lot of the others, then once you've cleared and planted one area you can remove some of the covers and start digging out the weeds from there.

I got my plot last year and there was one part that I simply didn't have time to do anything with it, so it's been covered for months now.  I got round to it last night and there's barely a single weed under there, can't tell you how chuffed I was, means I can plant that area up with loads of tomato plants with hardly any weeding beforehand.  And the tarpaulin will be repositioned over another bed which is currently wainting to be weeded.

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 13:58 »
im a beleiver in using glyfosate to give me that special edge on those blooming weeds

it kills the whole weed ,  that which falls on the ground is nutralised once it touches the group,

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 14:13 »
I would stick to your guns and go the organic method.  With one in three people getting cancer now i wouldnt risk using anything.

Besides - Theres nothing like a good dig to get you fit (and its a darn site cheaper than a gym membership).

If only I could run a "keep fit dig" session on my allotment with rows of people digging in tune to music lol ! - and they would pay me for getting the excersise !
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 14:35 »
when u clear the current weeds the seeds exposed to the light grow thats why they come so quick.after you have got all these out the weeds will be slower and easier to manage so keep plugging away as it will be easier after this

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 15:04 »
Roundup is not organic – read up on this product from a variety of sources and make your own decision if you are still happy to use it.

There is some doubt over how safe carpet is to use as a weed suppressant. There is a possibility of toxins being released into the soil from the dyes and glues used in it. It is also a pain to remove once it gets wet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 15:12 by Trebor »

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 15:08 »
I have sent you a PM.

For digging, I find these make life easier for me. You can get them from here cheaper.

I take the view that the weeds occupy spaces you leave, that don't have any plants in, so you have to fill the space or have weeds, or hoe. Bare soil is not natures way. I don't even mind bindweed too much, after all it is also bringing nutrients from low down in the soil up to the surface. As long as I don't let it get out of hand I don't see the point in worrying.

Sue33

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 15:11 »

why don't you try putting weed suppressant membrane down on the bed you have dug over and then plant courgettes, or marrows, butternut squash through it, at least that way you'll get some veggies on the go.

Good luck, we've all been there  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 15:29 »
Roundup / Glyphosate is, on a scale of 1-to-10, relatively safe.  Been around a long time - long enough for side effects to be found and so on. I think the toxicity tends to come from the surfactants (detergent like compounds that make it stick to the plants) rather than the glyphosate active ingredient.

It is hazardous to aquatic life, so don't use near ponds and streams.

But who knows for sure? I suggest doing your own research, and you might like to start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup

What it does do it does very well.  It goes down into the roots and disrupts some process in the plant's biochemistry. It takes a couple of weeks to do this (so not much appears to happen initially) and there must be a dry period of 6 hours after application with no rain.

My personal view is that for a one-time application to give you a flying start it is a worthy contender.

Covering the plot in weed suppressing membrane (the woven type, rather than a solid sheet) is a good move - whether you use weed killer or not - and planting through that in the first year, or two, reduces the effort needed for weeding and all the seeds that germinate will have no light to sustain them.  That's fine by me too!

xx
organic weed "killer"

Started by earthmother on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:32
by woodburner
xx
Clearance advice

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:21
by potatogrower
xx
clearance by burning?

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:40
by potatogrower
xx
New Plot, No dig ground clearance

Started by richardeallen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:48
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.907 seconds with 37 queries.