Arrrr butterflies

• 17 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: Arrrr butterflies
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 21:19 »
Just ordinary netting to keep the pigeons off seems to work for me.  I have caught the odd cabbage white underneath it, and have seen this on my neighbours' plots as well.  I'm sure anyone passing by would think it hilarious to see me trying to squash them through the net - they are very agile!  The important thing is to put the netting on as soon as you plant out your brassicas.

I have tried ornamental cabbage this year, for winter bedding.  I put the pots in an open cold frame and stupidly didn't think of netting them - doh!  I spotted the cabbage whites taking an interest and checked the leaves - found a few eggs and rubbed them off, then covered the lot with netting and thought it would be okay.  I never spotted a caterpillar but they must have safely hatching out under the net and now I am just left with stalks.  I won't bother next year and just buy plants at the garden centre.   :(

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 00:49 »
I've used debris netting for last 2yrs over the brassicas with virtually no caterpillar damage

However as Fisherman said little devils can get in. Last winter, 1 tunnel with PSB and sprouts was decimated by whitefly (partly my fault for becoming complacent,lol).

the last 3weeks only given the sprouts and PSB a brush on the way past and all looked OK. Lifted nets this weekend and a dust cloud of whitefly erupted >:(,

Next year back to my old method:

Spring/Summer,      no netting but water every couple off weeks with a tea mixture  to keep the cabbagewhite at bay, i'm apparently not allowed to discuss contents on here (maybe it's OK to PM to anyone interested)

Autumn/Winter:  cover with netting (eg. 1inch) to keep the birds off

Winter/ Spring:  enjoy the fresh veg

I know enviromesh keeps virtually everything out (great if you can afford it) but debris netting can provide a sheltered/safe environment were the liittle pests can thrive protected from their natural predators.
Only my humble opinion based on my experience in this area,lol, :) :) :) :)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09 »
I haven't found anything that will keep whitefly off (haven't tried environmesh on cost grounds).  It seems particularly attracted to my Cavolo Nero,  but apart from it being unsightly and unpleasant to deal with clouds of the pests, it doesn't seem to cause any damage and I just give the leaves a thorough wash before cooking (and don't tell anyone when they are eating it :) ). 

xx
Butterflies

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 18:09
by peapod
xx
Protection from butterflies

Started by Gardenmunkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 08:14
by Kristen
xx
Cabbage White Butterflies

Started by Coop-a-Cabana on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 09:46
by Coop-a-Cabana
xx
shrubs for bees and butterflies

Started by tinshed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 11:09
by muntjac

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 31 queries.