texture of potatoes

• 13 Replies

bully01

texture of potatoes
« on: August 15, 2010, 16:44 »
Hi all, first question on this forum. I grew potatoes on my allortment for the first time this year, Kestrel and Arran Pilot.  The kestrels have cropped well lovely size etc. but when boiled they go almost instantly into the water, and crumble away. The Arran Pilot are not much better. is this something I haven't done, should I have watered them more or is there something else going on, so many on these forums think Kestrel are wonderful. Help please before next season and the wife divorces me for lack of viable spuds!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: texture of potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 17:00 »
Nothing wrong with your growing ;)
the spuds just need to be steamed or cooked for a very short while, much less than shop bought ones, that's all. Watch them like a hawk until you have worked the timing out...mine are currently taking only 8 minutes to boil whole small ones. This means I have to put my beans on first cos these are taking longer than the spuds :blink:
Strange but true :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 17:45 »
When cooking, use a knife or fork to test when they're ready - you'll soon get used to it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 17:56 »
Fresh potatoes are so much quicker to cook.  If I'm boiling them, I tend to turn the heat off after 5 to 10 minutes depending on size and allow them to finish in the heat of the water.  It saves fuel as well so that's got to be bonus.  :D

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 17:59 »
I get the same thing with all my early potatoes - they cook so fast that I have to watch them. Perhaps 8 minutes and they're done. Only my maincrops that I steal a few from need a bit longer, but not much.

Redgoat

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:25 »
Mine are ready at about 10 minutes.

Can I recommend the old Welsh recipe of Potes caws.

Boil potatoes with an onion.

A few minutes before they are ready add grated cheese, milk (one third of the amount of water in the pan), salt and pepper.

Serve in a bowl with fresh bread. Yummy

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 17:51 »
Can I come round to you for a quality control test? All in the best possible taste of course. What a grate idea!!! :tongue2:

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:04 »
A suggestion for future years (and if you have the space).  I bought about 5 bags of pre-packed seed potatoes from the garden centre.  A little more expensive than buying in other ways I know but for this experiment well worth it.

Each bag contained a different variety.  I then planted each variety at a slightly different time to give me a continual crop and also because I'd selected first, second earliers, main crop etc.

I made sure I noted which rows were which variety and I'm now starting to harvest them as I need them.  I'm keeping a note of which I harvest and what the family think of them and how well they cook with different methods.  So far I've decided I won't try Sharpe's Express again as I found them too 'floury' when cooked for mashing but I will grow Wilja again as they're popular with the family for roast and  baked.  I have not relied on what the bags they came in say as I'm finding it's really down to personal taste and likes and dislikes,

When I come to get my seed potatoes next year I should know which ones to grow and which to avoid.

This probably all sounds very basic and common sense to you old hands but to a novice it's all part of the steep learning curve!

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28 »

This probably all sounds very basic and common sense to you old hands but to a novice it's all part of the steep learning curve!

Even the "old hands" are still ploughing through the varieties  :D  By the way, Wilkos have done a 5 seed spud pack for about a £1 a few years now - not the biggest selection available, but still worth trying out.  After reading up the online blurb on Rooster, I would never have chosen a big pack but after trying the 5 seed spud packs 2 year on the trot, it is turning out to be a really good consistent cropper despite it's susceptibility to blight and having to cut the haulms back.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 15:39 »
trying different varieties, is of course a good idea, but be aware that weather conditions may affect taste, consistency and yield! Just to put a spanner in the works ::)

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 16:48 »
Kestrel are brilliant - but I use them for chips or roasties; nom nom.

If you want mash, they cook in seconds in boiling water; so as soon as they boil, I tip out most of the water and pretty much let them steam; then a knob of butter and some pepper and mash like crazy as soon as I can....

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 17:51 »
Let them age a little in a cool, dark place for about three weeks. They'll cook differently, and taste better (ducks under parapet to avoid being pelted with rotten spuds by everyone who likes theirs 'fresh').

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 17:56 »
I agree with Swing Swang - I have read that maincrop potatoes in particular need to left in store for a while to allow their skins to 'set'.  I have also read that you can cut the haulms and leave the spuds in the ground for a week to achieve the same end. 

I have grown some Pink Fir Apple for the first time this year though and I found that when I left them in a hessian sack for a few days they went a bit flabby.  They cooked and tasted okay though.

slugwarrior

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 08:38 »
in agreement with everyone else...it depends on the variety of spud. the more floury they are, the more they may disintegrate.  i steam mine in a metal veg steaming basket.  it also makes me feel that I am not losing any goodness into the water.  the most amazing potato i have grown in recent years was sarpo axona.  they were described as having a high dry matter content, which was something of an understatement. eating them was like having all the moisture sucked out of your mouth. I had a couple explode in the oven when I stuck a fork in.  I am not selling them am I? they were fantastic and I loved them... they just needed plenty of butter on them. Additionally, the slugs didn't touch them which on my plot makes them a miracle crop.....

xx
Soil texture

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 21:02
by WhippetMaster
xx
soil texture

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 08:54
by prakash_mib
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 38 queries.