pale green/yellow leaves

• 10 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
pale green/yellow leaves
« on: April 16, 2009, 14:36 »
Some of my pepper plants and tomato plants have leaves which are starting to turn pale green  almost yellow rather than the bright dark healthy looking green.

This year is the first year where the plants are stong healthy 15/20cm+ at this time in the year should I be putting them in their final planting positions now. The Polytunnel is ready I have moved the manue and made sure the holes are nice and wet.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Re: pale green/yellow leaves
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 15:35 »
I would say that it is a bit early to plant out with the risk of cold weather still being here. Maybe next month is better. If they are out growing the house then maybe you will just have to risk it (and it could solve the yellowing leaves if it is one of the reasons below).

Yellowing could be over watering, lack of nutrients or poor/ compact soil to name a few. Depends on the situation really - what growing medium do you use/ how much water are you giving them?

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 17:06 »
I've had loads of problems like this this year with various seedlings & cuttings. I've put it down to old seed & potting compost (even though I bought it fresh this season), so I've been feeding them & hope for some improvement.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 17:45 »
If they are in good light it sounds as though some feed is needed. At the size they are they might have exhausted what is in the compost now  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 14:48 »
I would say that it is a bit early to plant out with the risk of cold weather still being here. Maybe next month is better. If they are out growing the house then maybe you will just have to risk it (and it could solve the yellowing leaves if it is one of the reasons below).

Yellowing could be over watering, lack of nutrients or poor/ compact soil to name a few. Depends on the situation really - what growing medium do you use/ how much water are you giving them?

Sorry should explain - The tomato plants have been in the PT for over a month now and are going great guns but are in pots on the staging. I have moved some into the border today and yesturday and so far so good. They are now in well rotted organic cow manure (plant them in this every year). I have never started them as early as Jan before so should have realised that they would be needing something extra by now. The light is fantastic in the PT and so the strong and quick growth as taken me by surprise this year.

Peppers - I seem to be getting better at growing these each year. At the moment I'm putting these inside the mini greenhouse during the day and bringing in late afternoon so I don't think light is a problem. I think i will pot them on again peppers this afternoon and no they are still at home I normally wait for the PT to reach 10 -13C at night before i move them.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 16:26 »
My Garlic leaves are getting quite yellow lately and some of my earliest Broad Beans. No idea what is causing it. :ohmy:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 16:32 by out4nowt »

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 20:45 »
My Garlic leaves are getting quite yellow lately and some of my earliest Broad Beans. No idea what is causing it. :ohmy:

My garlic went yellow, so I googled it and eventually found this page ( yellow leaves ) which said that it was a nitrogen deficiency, I walloped them with a high nitrogen feed and since then they've been green as ... urm, a green thing :D

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 21:36 »

My garlic went yellow, so I googled it and eventually found this page ( yellow leaves ) which said that it was a nitrogen deficiency, I walloped them with a high nitrogen feed and since then they've been green as ... urm, a green thing :D

Is it a good to add nitrogen when you are talking about garlic? I thought the nitrogen would increase foliage, for example with fruit I thought you could end up with more greens rather than fruit.  Will it be the same with garlic when you are after a bulb and not the foliage? I have a little yellowing and was just planning on leaving alone at the moment.

(I realise that no foliage equals no plant, but will a little yellowing hurt in this case?)

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 21:59 »
OK, nitrogen it is!

Yabba

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 22:22 »
Is it a good to add nitrogen when you are talking about garlic? I thought the nitrogen would increase foliage, for example with fruit I thought you could end up with more greens rather than fruit.  Will it be the same with garlic when you are after a bulb and not the foliage? I have a little yellowing and was just planning on leaving alone at the moment.

(I realise that no foliage equals no plant, but will a little yellowing hurt in this case?)

No idea, but I know that the leaves lost ( are losing ) their yellow colour and are now looking far healthier

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 22:31 »
Some of my pepper plants ..  almost yellow rather than the bright dark healthy looking green.

My peppers and chillis started going yellow as well .. they were in an unheated greenhouse, on heated beds ( lots of light, enough heat ) ... turned out that my problem was over watering ... now I treat them a smidge harsh .. I turn a blind eye to the bone dry pots and only water them when the leaves give up the ghost and flop ;)

xx
Tomato seedlings turned pale yellow??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 18:03
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
pale pumpkin leaves

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 21:53
by 8doubles
xx
Chilli leaves pale

Started by BabbyAnn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:29
by fatbelly
xx
pale runner bean leaves

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 22:17
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.