Green Windsor Boad beans - help

• 7 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
Green Windsor Boad beans - help
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:45 »
OH wants broad beans so I said I'd have a go on our brand new allotment - never grown them before - got the seeds into pots last week.    Now what?
How high do these grow, do they need support and do they need netting/protection.
HEEELP!   ???
The advise always is to only grow what you'll eat but sometimes you only know how to grow stuff you don't want?  I have a dream!
trying to be green except when blue

zazen999

Re: Green Windsor Boad beans - help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25 »
It should say on the packet - but I've googled it for you and it says 2-3ft...so you might need a little support.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:26 »
The first year I did broad beans I bought The Sutton a dwarf bean which didn't need staking as it only grows to about 18 inches.  The ones I grew last year grew to about 3.5ft, and I staked each one to a short cane.  So height depends on the variety.

I didn't protect them by netting or anything

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38 »
When you plant them out put them 9 inches apart in a double row, also 9inches between the double row. Plenty of room will allow the bees in to pollinate. You want flowers not leaf. Plant them out as soon as the first leaves have opened up. Plant them right up tp the lowest leaves which will help to support them.

Put a stout cane or stick at each corner and about every 4 ft along the sides. A line of string at about 1 ft high and another at 2 ft will stop them falling over.

Once they have flowers opening pinch out the tops as these will only produce leaf. This will also discourage black aphids which love to colonise late broad beans. You can eat the tops lightly steamed. Eat the beans while they are young.

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:18 »
many thanks - I think I'll also buy a few plants as the local garden centre ha sThe Sutton and see how I get on with both - I like to have a plan A and Plan B

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:28 »

Once they have flowers opening pinch out the tops as these will only produce leaf. This will also discourage black aphids which love to colonise late broad beans. You can eat the tops lightly steamed. Eat the beans while they are young.

Salmo, my winter planted broad beans (Acuadulce) have flowers just starting to open, but they are not very tall (about 10-12 inches).  Should I pinch the top out now or wait until all the flowers are open?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 23:38 »
If they are flowering now they will probably escape infestation with black aphids so pinching out the tops is not so essential.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 00:04 »
My Suttons last year were beasts and grew to over 2ft tall - those in the middle just curled at the stem and seemed to want to go every which way but UP.
They did crop fantastically, though. And as Salmo says, the tips are lovely steamed with butter on, once your flowers are all out  :) (yours aren't at full maturity yet though, by the sound of it)
They were lots easier than the Aquadulce too, which had a mind of their own.
Just play it by ear, Sue - whatever the variety, you'll soon see if they're needing support.
(Think DD's pea support pics, in miniature, if so  ;) )

xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Green beans

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 18:11
by Kristen
xx
Green beans - how big is too big

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 20:02
by JayG

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 36 queries.