Resolva 24hours weedkiller

• 12 Replies

Kellybee

Resolva 24hours weedkiller
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:00 »
I'm not sure how much this stuff is normally sold for, but I bought some yesterday from Tesco at an 'introductory price' of £7.50 for a bottle of concentrate. It supposedly covers about 350m2.

Just thought I'd post my cheap find in case anyone is watching the pennies as we are!

Kelly :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Resolva 24hours weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:30 »
Does Resolva perform better than straight Glyphosphate?

I understand that the foliage goes yellow "overnight" - so I suppose at least you can see if you missed a bit, but until the Glyphosphate has got down to the roots I would expect pernicious weeds to still be able to make a comeback :( so I have been planning to stick with plain Glyphosphate - which should be cheaper.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44 »
Thanks Kelly, thats a good price  :) Wilko's it's £9.99 for the same product

Similar size Roundup would cost you £10.99 and treats 280 M2
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 13:32 »
I'm using a generic Glyphosphate (Can't remember the brand) which was a lot cheaper (per treated sq.m.) than the Round-up brand.

Got it at Wyevale, but can't remember the price.  Looking at their website currently:

Monsanto Roundup 1Ltr treats 1,000 sq.m. cost £30.99 - so 3p / sq.m.

Bayer Glyphosate 1Ltr treats 440 sq.m. cost £11.99 - so 2.7p / sq.m.

(These are both various marked as Scotts on the Wyevale site, but I can't see their brand name on the packaging at all!)

Can't see any other brands shown ... but my recollection was that the generic Glyphosphate was about 1/2 the price of Round-up brand at the time (or perhaps my mental maths was miserable!)

Weedol 12 sachets treats 360 sq.m Costs £15.99 - so 4.4p / sq.m.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Resolva in Wyevale, but I can't find it on their web site

Kellybee

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 15:12 »
This is the first time I have tried a weedkiller, so I cant comment on the performance. Weather permitting I will have a go at the Resolva this weekend - i shall report on my findings. £7.50 may not be that much of a bargain if it doesnt work!

I suppose there are cheaper ways of buying a weedkiller, but few are as convenient as buying when you do your weekly shop!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 15:48 »
"£7.50 may not be that much of a bargain if it doesnt work!"

I reckon it will work well, just not sure that the extra chemical they put in (in addition to Glyphosphate) is worth paying extra for.  But if it doesn't cost extra then its going to be even better!

I have several hundred sq. m. to do :(, so any cost saving is worth making - I wouldn't be so bothered for a smaller area. But having said that waiting two weeks for Glyphosphate to work, and then seeing I've missed some bits is annoying, so maybe using Resolva so I could see what I had missed a day later would be a better plan.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 18:40 »
Thats the idea you can see missed patches within hours not weeks, my son's been using it on his plot and he really rates it. I think he likes to see the weeds die  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 19:27 »
I've got some weeds to spray which are about to go to seed ... perhaps if I use Glyphosphate they will seed before they keel over :( ... might be another reason to use Resolva.

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 20:18 »
I'm not sure how much this stuff is normally sold for, but I bought some yesterday from Tesco at an 'introductory price' of £7.50 for a bottle of concentrate. It supposedly covers about 350m2.

Just thought I'd post my cheap find in case anyone is watching the pennies as we are!

Kelly :)

Wilkinsons, £6.99 ;)

¥

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 00:06 »
The other chemical in Resolva is diquat. This is a close relative of paraquat (the chemical in weedol). It is more active on broad leaved weeds than paraquat which is better on grasses. A mixture of diquat/paraquat used to be used in agriculture as a defoliant. Like paraquat, diquat is pretty nasty if swallowed but is less likely to kill as it does not perminantly affect the lungs.

If this works it is a great advance. I have always understood that you cannot mix paraquat and glyphosate(roundup) because the paraquat disables the leaves before the glyphosate can be absorbed. I would have thought the diquat would have had the same effect. Is there any clue on the packaging as to how this problem has been overcome?

Is Resolva supposed to be weather fast?  One disadvantage with Roundup is that you need 6 hours of dry weather after application. What does it say on the packaging about how long you need it to be dry?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 00:17 »
There is some bumph here:

http://www.resolva-weeds.com/how-does-it-work.php

which says it uses "IQ Technology"  :tongue2: but does talk about a breakthrough in Surfactants which may help the Glyphosphate get absorbed more quickly I suppose, and also some additive that overcomes a problem that Glyphosphate has when mixed with hard water (which I can't remember hearing of before, but our water is hard so if true would be good news)

Looks and Smells like a marketing site though ...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24 »
The other chemical in Resolva is diquat. This is a close relative of paraquat (the chemical in weedol).

I think youll find that paraquat is now banned for use in the EU, and that diquat is in fact now the active ingredient in Weedol.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:28 »
I'll move this to GYO as the thread seems to have developed from "Frugalness" into a discussion about weedkillers and it now seems more suited there.

xx
Has anyone used Resolva

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 18:42
by Ice
xx
weedkiller

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:11
by tode
xx
Weedkiller

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 13:23
by sazhig
xx
Best Weedkiller to buy ?

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.