Another Red Mite thread. Week two and there BACK.

• 79 Replies

yorkshirerose

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05 »
Where would I buy Milbenex from  :?:
I too have major probs with the little critters - doesn't help having partridges/pheasants and other wild birds about - they seem to sit around the girls pen.
Not used Diatom either yet - just Poultry shield, Jeyes Fluid and Red mite powder , but they are back with gusto. :roll:  :roll:
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2008, 12:15 »
just checked and you can still get hold of duramitex on ebay.... pricey, but it works.... i treated once with this....got into every nook and cranny, (girls are in an old pig shed (i think) on my lottie with lots of room to run about outside (fenced in run) so loads of places for the lil devils to hide... but as yet no sign of them...this was about 2 months ago now...took half a bottle to do it and do it well, but 6 quid well spent in my opinion.... (full bottle 12 if you quick, other than that 15)

Nogger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2008, 12:31 »
:) Hi,  the pigeon lime is calcium carbonate ,i had two guy's on the lotty !old veterans at that,and they were arguing if the lime killed the mites,one said yes the other one said they helped to keep them at bay,but they both use it in their pigeon lofts to deter them,when i built my coop which is an 8x6 shed one of the vetrans told me to make a roosting shelf for them,this is a piece of ply wich goes down one side of the shed and across the back,24"from the floor and is about 12"-15" wide,so basicly its a shelf,then i scatter the lime on the shelf and on the shed floor this helps by drying up the girls poo and is very easy to clean up .
what happens all thirteen roost on the shelf no mess on the floor,this makes it good for cleaning and as the vet say's helps keep the critter's down, touch wood i havn't had any trouble up to now.:roll:.

i hope i didn't confuse anyone as to what this lime could do, if so sorry.

ray

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40 »
I've just read that straw harbours red mites and that if you use it as bedding it brings red mites into the coop :shock:  :shock: .  I've got two bales from the farmer in the car! :cry:  Please rubbish this theory someone!!!! Please!!
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2008, 12:51 »
oh bum....thays what i use as bedding too!!!!.... please please...by all means ....someone do rubbish that theory!....lol

xx
week old chick - anyone used poultry shield and diatom for mite infestation???

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:16
by bubs
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 35 queries.