Broccoli Question...

• 2 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Broccoli Question...
« on: August 26, 2006, 20:51 »
Hiya,

I've just joined today, what a wonderful forum, loads to read and learn. I'm a first year gardener. I've done well with baby salad leaves, loads of radishes, some carrots, conservatory toms are green at the mo.

My question is, I was growing some broccoli to eat as sprouts, but they went a bit mouldy looking and so I just tipped them into a grow box, and now they are 4" tall and I have tonnes. Can they be eaten at this stage or defintely not?

Also, I started them off in early July, so am I right in thinking they will just die off in the winter cos I've started them too late (or too early)?

Thanks in advance.
herbiegrowsbananas

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Broccoli Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 23:19 »
I wouldn't eat mouldy or previously mouldy sprouts. You're suppose to wash them twice a day to prevent anything nasty getting into the sprouts and I've read that certain bacteria can hide in sprouts even after numerous washings. I'd rather be safe than sorry... not sure how tasty they'd be as just trimmed sprouts either but they'd be easier to clean.  

You could try planting them out but keep them covered under fleece or other clocheing. Broccoli is normally planted in the spring after the frosts or if it's purple sprouting broccoli (spring kind) I think you plant that later but I'm not sure.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

James

• Experienced Member
Broccoli Question...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 19:37 »
I don't see why not.  Give them a go.  Seedlings grown indoors often get a bit of mould, and that doesn't make them revolting when they become grown up plants.  If they taste revolting, then don't... but if they look ok they probably are.  ~Nibble a stalk and find out.

xx
Broccoli question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 22:55
by Yorkie
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese? question

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:43
by sunshineband
xx
Broccoli question (with pics)

Started by matt1234 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 10:30
by sunshineband
xx
silly cabbage and broccoli question...

Started by JKJ on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 09:40
by Faz

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.