Security on the allotment - what measures do you take?

• 40 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Security on the allotment - what measures do you take?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 16:11 »
I thought about a false floor not a wall tho .......
Thanks
Kris

Bombers

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 16:14 »
You can always hide some  underneath a shed, and cover 'em up with a brick?
I hide an old fork and an old hoe in between 2 'palllet' compost heaps.' Werks for me!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 16:21 »
Our lotties are fenced off themselves - mine has 6ft fences all around and a padlocked gate on it. We have a locked main site gate (left open during the day) and fencing around the site. We also have CCTV on site. My shed has large windows but I still padlock it. There is nothing of value in it though all my tools are in they arent worth that much.
This is due to vandalism and sadly some things go walkabout too.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 16:45 »
We have no security on our site. :ohmy: There is a 5 bar gate which will stop someone bringing a vehicle on to the site. But there is no fence. There is a hedge which hides the site bur anybody can get onto our site through the fields and lanes surrounding us! By the way there is a notice on the noticeboard (which has been vandalised) please lock the gate :tongue2:
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

karlooben

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 19:27 »
my site is surrounded my houses on 3 sides and a cementry on the other , we have had 6 breakins within 2 years the last one only a few weks ago in that stormy weather . normally we get hit at around midnite but this time the came at 9 pm , today we had a young lad noisying around an he ran when someone came out there garden gate but he kept walking up the main road watching our site . ppl now know not to keep anything on the site if its worth anything  but ppl still leave expensive mowers etc in thier sheds . no one now locksd thier sheds as its not worth keep  on replacing the padlocks , .

i have had my garden shed done twice so now my garden { gates , sheds , garage { all have 3 padlocks an massive iron bars bolted to the walls to help keep them secure , in the mornings i have to unlock 2 sets of padlocks to get out there to go do the chickens and its so so annoying when not even your back garden is safe although if i catch them doing the deed an by mistake let my dogs out then i doubt the burgalars will ever come back .
even the chicken house will be having a dummy cctv camera added to it tomorw .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 19:38 »
Out site has had a few break in's. The kids break into  most of the sheds. Mine and the one next to me has never been broken into but ours need painting so look a bit scruffy.

I keep my tools under the under but do keep some tools that are really cheap inside so if they do check the shed out they don't think that there might be anymore. I also don't lock it. I guess they just think it's a rubbish shed.

Strange that they have never damasged my polytunnel, which would be so easy. Touch wood!
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 19:42 »
We've got wire to keep foxes out and padlocks to keep people out. We haven't got a shed yet - boo hoo! We do have a big pile of pallets and I bike lock all my tools to pallets so if they want them they will have to shift a whole load of pallets to get them. I also think if it looks too good, too neat and too shiny it's temptingly nickable. Nic.

Mr Bean

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 19:53 »
Last year I and another plot  holder had our sheds turned upside down and the doors ripped off. I only had a cheap spade and fork in it and nothing was stolen.
It would take a few years to establish but I thought about growing Pyracantha and training it around and over the shed.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 20:11 »
We've just had locks put on the gates but most people leave them open.  I'm afraid I take what I need it the back of the car.  It's a real pain but at least I've still got them.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 08:17 »
Out site has had a few break in's. The kids break into  most of the sheds. Mine and the one next to me has never been broken into but ours need painting so look a bit scruffy.

I keep my tools under the under but do keep some tools that are really cheap inside so if they do check the shed out they don't think that there might be anymore. I also don't lock it. I guess they just think it's a rubbish shed.

Strange that they have never damasged my polytunnel, which would be so easy. Touch wood!

Where can I purchase an under? :lol:

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 10:07 »
my plot is the other side of a hedgerow,which on the other side is a pavement and a busy main road,this time of year the hedgerow is thin and you can see through it,,,

we have high thick gates and a nice shiny padlock at the top of the allotments both ends,but our allotments are very large,,,,,,,the size of four to 6 footie pitches.....

i havent had any probs (touch wood)

but in the past there has been.on the other site across the road
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

woodburner

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 10:31 »
The last place I was at had six foot high fence, and padlocked matching gate, but I still had my tools nicked, from their inconspicous hiding place, a pallet also went missing at the same time.  :blink: IIRC someone's shed was also broken into. This was before the credit crunch, and according to the older tenents, was the first time anything had been damaged or taken, although there was evidence of the fence having been climbed before.
So IMHO only barbed wire topped security fencing is likely to be effective, and probably not even that.
At my current site, a load of carrots were illicitly harvested last summer, so we now have a padlock and barbed wire on the gate and barbed wire on a 4ft fence around the most accessible part of the site. The thief has to be local to even know the site exists, and a relative of the previous thief (over 10 years ago) is the prime suspect.

There is also another local thief who I know from past experience is partial to 'abandoned' tools so I won't be leaving my tools up there, although I do like the idea of the of the tatty tools on show and the good ones well hidden. We aren't allowed sheds, so I'm considering making a secret compartment in the back of a compost bin, with some tatty tools padlocked to the side of the bin for added distraction.  :dry:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Deano

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 11:50 »
Luckily for me my veg patch is next to my house so very safe.
When i did have an allotment, 25 years ago, me and my neighbour dug a big hole next to the shed, buried an old fridge in it and put a big chain and padlock around it. A large version of an underfloor safe! We then covered it with some old staging boards and stood a big blue water barrel on it (not full!!). Nobody ever sussed it was there and our tools were always safe. The shed was broken into several times over a number of years but we could live with tidying up the usual mess from kids knowing our tools were always safe.

Not sure if burying and old fridge is 'eco friendy' anymore.
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 15:32 »
We're very lucky where we are ..... The site is not at all visible from the road , have to go down a long driveway between a couple of houses (I stil have trouble finding it!)

The back of the plot is fenced completed off and backs onto the railway line (enjoyed the steam train going past today!)

The sides are all blocked in by gardens with 6ft fences and the whole site is only accessible if you have a key .

Added to that the local PCSO is a plot holder so we get plenty of security visits! I do have a lock on my shed , mainly because the local PCSO would help himself to all my tea and coffee in there when I'm absent!
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

lacewing

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 16:25 »
We are very lucky to have a high fence with spikes on top and a padlocked gate. If we leave the gate open  whilst barrowing in manure ect. you'd be surprised how many people come wandering into the plot.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

xx
Allotment site - gate security

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:52
by diggerjoe
xx
Plot security!

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:05
by jamesbrownontheroad
xx
First allotment

Started by Boylan93 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 29, 2021, 14:47
by Subversive_plot
question
New allotment help

Started by paramac52 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 23:25
by mjg000

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 34 queries.