Cage Drinkers opinions please?

• 14 Replies

cbv8

Cage Drinkers opinions please?
« on: October 16, 2012, 20:01 »
Hi All,
I have been looking at these cage drinkers on eblag item number 200709619479 they look a very simple design and a lot less hassle the the standard eton drinker i have just bought which takes up quite a bit of room in my coop  ??? Anyone got any experience of these items would be very much appreciated but be gentle with me i am a Chicken keeping virgin i only bought my Chickens two days ago but am lovin it should have done it years ago ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Cage Drinkers opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 00:36 »
When you say you have the drinker in the coop, do you really mean in their run?  It is best not to have food or water in the coop.  The hens do not need it during the night and it can attract rodents. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cbv8

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16 »
When you say you have the drinker in the coop, do you really mean in their run?  It is best not to have food or water in the coop.  The hens do not need it during the night and it can attract rodents. 
Doh  :blush: yes i meant in the run i am new to this game you know  ;)

splash101

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:17 »
I havent used this type.

Things to consider with any drinker is:
Will it be easy to clean ?, i mean a proper inside clean as algae and slime can build up.
During the winter chances are the water will freeze, it will possibly freeze easier in a narrow neck bottle.

Is there anyway you could hang the eton drinker so its off the floor?.

cbv8

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32 »
I havent used this type.

Will it be easy to clean ?, i mean a proper inside clean as algae and slime can build up.
During the winter chances are the water will freeze, it will possibly freeze easier in a narrow neck bottle.

Hi Splash,
I am extending my run today using and old 4x6aluminium greenhouse i just have lying around but replacing poly panels with chicken mesh and leaving roof panels in for shelter so i space will not be an issue  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32 »
I had a large plastic poultry drinker with the red base out in the corale but in the run I had an Omlet "glug" drinker which was attached to the wire netting of the run by means of two hook things at the back. They are both very good and hold lots of water.  The downside of the red based one was that it was easy for the two parts to separate when you least expected it and you'd get cold water all down your trousers  :D 

splash101

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37 »
i second that compostqueen, and it always seems to be when it has ACV and crushed garlic in it, never just plain, non smelling, fresh water  ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 13:07 »
I have a small chick crumb feeder that does that.   >:(

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 13:10 »
I havent used this type.

Hi Splash,
I am extending my run today using and old 4x6aluminium greenhouse i just have lying around but replacing poly panels with chicken mesh and leaving roof panels in for shelter so i space will not be an issue  ;)

You could leave some of the side poly panels on for a wind break.  Are you using chicken wire or welded wire mesh which will be fox proof?

cbv8

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 15:25 »
I havent used this type.

Hi Splash,

You could leave some of the side poly panels on for a wind break.  Are you using chicken wire or welded wire mesh which will be fox proof?
All good info here  :D Splash i am using garden netting wire 600mmx10m  as sold by Wilkinson at £8.98p thats a good idea about leaving some panels in for a windbreak i think i will do that  :D :D thanks all for the advice keep it coming   ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 17:05 »
Mine had wind breaks made of transparent "windows" made from market stall covers complete with eyelets, which I got off the internet.  Very natty and the girls loved them. Full protection and a window on the world. If the hens could see out they were much happier and they were protected from gales, driving rain and snow. 

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:43 »
Do be aware that foxes can chew through chicken wire. Re drinking vessels, having tried a few a small bucket works best for me. They are easy to clean, easy to manage when it is freezing and don't cost me anything as I use the buckets that my horses supplement comes in. Try your local pub for empty buckets of catering packs of mayonnaise and similar. They are also very easily transported! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

cbv8

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 07:27 »
Do be aware that foxes can chew through chicken wire. Re drinking vessels, having tried a few a small bucket works best for me. They are easy to clean, easy to manage when it is freezing and don't cost me anything as I use the buckets that my horses supplement comes in. Try your local pub for empty buckets of catering packs of mayonnaise and similar. They are also very easily transported! :)
Foxes can chew rhough chicken wire i find this hard to believe  :unsure: the stuff i have is the galvanised type and new think i will stick with the Eton water feeder now i got more space  ;)

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48 »
Strange but true :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:58 »
chicken wire is only made to keep chickens in or out of a place and not to keep foxes from getting at them - foxes can chew through chicken wire very easily. The ideal wire to use is welded mesh that you can buy on rolls or sheets and it really needs to be 14 gauge or thicker.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Drinkers

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 15:12
by Blobbs
xx
Drinkers

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 18:26
by bygrace
xx
Drinkers

Started by DMT2011 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 17:24
by JaK
xx
Filling drinkers

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 09:42
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 37 queries.