Filling drinkers

• 4 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Filling drinkers
« on: April 28, 2007, 22:25 »
ok, so i got a drinker off someone, its a typical plastic thing. But, how are you meant to fill them? the holes extend all around the base, not just a single small hole, so if i try to fill it as i would any other vacuum drinker, by filling it and then turning it right way up, i end up soaked and the drinker only a third full!

what am i doing wrong? :cry:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Filling drinkers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 23:13 »
Yes you will spill some !  Just invert it as quickly as possible, I hold mine by the handle to do it  :D

tomtoby

Filling drinkers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 21:33 »
Hi I'm a newbie too but are you sure that you have a drinker? We have the ones with a red base and clearish container. Our feeder has holes all the way around the bottom to let the grain fall down but the drinker has only one hole - ther rest of the way round makes a fairly tight seal - as long as you turn it over quickly you don't get wet (after the first attempt that it  :lol:  ).
Sorry if I've not understood the problem - but I too pondered this at the beginning  :oops:
Happing chook-keeping
tom

Ferris

Filling drinkers
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 22:14 »
If its like ours its crucial that you get the drinker on the level as soon as it is right way up... without being too scientific if the drinking bowl bit is shallow it only need to be slightly tilted and you get an air gap in the hole above the water level which then forces more water out.... onc filled tip it up quickly and place it on a very level surface straight away. I find it easier to carry it all the way into the run "wrong way up" then identify the flattest bit of ground and tip and place quickly.... should be ok then

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Filling drinkers
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 09:42 »
thanks you guys - i must admit i was dubious to it being a drinker, because the holes are all the way around, and me being a time served, died in the wool engineer and scientist saw instantly that there was no way i could turn it over and maintain the vacuum! but for some reason, i let the fact that the top didnt open up for filling convince me! of course its not a drinker! cor, i feel daft now

so looks like ive actually got a pair of feeders. Still, thats just as groovey

I will post a pic on the blog at some time. Still need to find time to finish the chook house and run. Discovered a bit of a 'fitting' problem that i need to solve

xx
my new self filling watering system

Started by Barnsley-Bill on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 20:24
by Goldfinger
xx
Drinkers

Started by DMT2011 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 17:24
by JaK
xx
Drinkers

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 15:12
by Blobbs
xx
Drinkers

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 18:26
by bygrace

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 30 queries.