Best way to intriduce new cockerel

• 4 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Best way to intriduce new cockerel
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:50 »
Hey guys
I currently have  8 silkie hens, true miniature bearded, 5 white, 2 black 1 cuckoo all girls n 1 black boy. I wanted a mini white boy n hatched some eggs, unfortunately the cockerel was way too big for little girls. The mini cockerel didnt mind the larger young cockerel even when he started treading girls. Still he was too big n had to go  :(
So I now have a small white cockerel, had him in isolation for a couple of weeksn then had him in an a frame for 8 days so others could see him.This morning I let him out big fight and it is the black that was taking a pounding, I had to break it up as they werent gona stop  :(. Mini blacks are very difficult to come by n he is very nice natured, the white is a very nice bird,few months older and is very much the agressor, is there anything I can do?
Or would I be better off hatching in spring n using a cockerel from the new batch, working on the assumption that if they grow up together they may get on better  :wacko:

I have a large garden n 2 henhouses so cockerels are housed seperate, dont  want to keep them locked up - any suggestions?

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Re: Best way to intriduce new cockerel
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:17 »
I would divide off another section from the run and put the other cockerel in there at least so they can see each other for now. Hopefully that will setlle them down a little when they are mixed but bringing them up together from birth is the best way. It would be better introducing a younger cockerel into the flock.

I currently have 5 cockerals all in the same coop / run together from 3 different hatches. The oldest 2 rule the roost and give the younger ones a bit of a hard time but they have somewhere to escape / run to if the going gets tough. How big is your run? The bigger the better I would say. Or maybe make a temporary run for integrating them.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35 »
thanks, both henhouses hav runs but mostly they free range in garden. I have put up temp wire fence n will give it 1-2 weeks then make a decision. Think hatchlings may be way to go.

Thanks again  :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 21:05 »
You'll have a problem introducing a new cockerel when there's already an established one in situ. They will generally only tolerate a competitive male if its one that grown up with them ie a hatchling.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:38 »
Would suggest splitting things up and having 2 families of hens/cockerels and keeping them separately. The problem will only get worse in the Spring and I fear the outcome! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Little Cockerel

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 14:57
by IMOmimey
xx
cockerel

Started by samuria on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:32
by Raven81
question
Mean cockerel!!!!!!!!!

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 17:28
by ANHBUC
xx
Cockerel

Started by turners on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 01:09
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 28 queries.