Quail - I have TOO many and can't tell boys from girls!

• 7 Replies

ajkula77

Can anyone help - either by telling me how to sex my quail, or by taking some off my hands?! I helpfully bought a complete mix of eggs and incubated them (more successfully than expected), and bar the odd mishap with the spaniel, still have around 20 left. They are gorgeous, such cheery,easy little birds, but a bit overcrowded, so either I need to *sob* cull the males or sell some. Obviously don't want to cull any of the girls, but it isn't that obvious which is which. I have coturnix, golden, pied and texan white.
If anyone wants some, I'm near Reading (twyford)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quail - I have TOO many and can't tell boys from girls!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 23:26 »
You don't say how old your quail are.  If you post some pictures showing their head and chest we might be able to tell.  Japanese are quite easy to tell, golden can be difficult and pied and texan white you probably won't be able to tell visually.

I have a quail that is 5 weeks old this Tuesday and he has already started to crow.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:40 »
At about 3/4 weeks old Italian quail are easy to tell apart. Google them and you will be able to get some photos up which should help. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ajkula77

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01 »
right. I have all four breeds. I think i can tell the golden cocks, it is the texan and pied I'm struggling with. By 'crow' do you mean standing tall and chirping?

splash101

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:17 »
If they are all the same age and you have more than 1 of each of the breed then you should be able to compare the golden ones with another golden one and like wise with the other breeds. Its no good comparing a golden with a texan. Generally the males are smaller and more slender than the females. The pied an texan maybe more difficult to sex.
When you lift the tail feathers of the males hold onto them for a few moments and they will secrete a white shaving foam substance (although to be honest im not sure if they will do it this time of year)
Again with the crowing, they all stand tall chirping but the males do crow, again mine are not crowing at the moment as there is no action going on  :ohmy: Its difficult to explain the crowing but when you hear it you will know as it much different to the chirping.

Can you upload any photos?

Failing all of that, wait until the spring and all will become clear.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 13:04 »
Have a listen to this clip, it is just near the end of the video.   ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYzmq2weu4

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45 »
Will the white shaving cream only work if they are sexually mature about 5 to 7 weeks old? :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 10:56 »
Will the white shaving cream only work if they are sexually mature about 5 to 7 weeks old? :)

and only in mating season (when they have atleast 14 hours of light).  The same for the crowing and egg laying.  Mine was crowing as he was under a heatlamp, he is quite now he is in normal daylight.   :)

xx
How can you tell the girls and boys...

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 17:48
by raeburg
question
boys or girls?

Started by sunshineband on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 16:28
by sunshineband
clip
Boys or Girls?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 19:47
by ANHBUC
xx
Boys or Girls?? - SLW

Started by curries on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 12:06
by evie2

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 36 queries.