out of my depth, what to do?

• 18 Replies

binner

• Experienced Member
Re: out of my depth, what to do?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 12:25 »
thought i'd keep you updated,

i now have 3 new raised beds about 12in high, one dug over and in need of some serious help :ohmy: wet, claggy, heavy clay. heavier than i remember it been and full of bindweed roots.

other two i decided not to dig over as they were done last winter and not been touched barring digging a few big docks out, mainly grass and annuals. they are now been layered with card i got from work and well rotted manure with a layer of half rotted with lots of straw mixed in over the top.

il get some pics later this week,

plan is to put tatties in one, but just dig a hole and pop them in rather than dig the full bed over, this should see away with the weeds for now and be easy to dig once it comes to digging the tatties up.

one's having brassicus in and the other.......................

well i think il have to keep adding well rotted to it over the next year to make it workable.

the first bed that was already there is now half comfry and half garlic, been turned over to a full comfry bed once the garlic's out next year, or possibly a bit of rhubarb
first year grower

Christine

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 18:44 »

i now have 3 new raised beds about 12in high, one dug over and in need of some serious help :ohmy: wet, claggy, heavy clay.
It takes some years to get on with the serious help. As much as you can do by spring and then it will surprise you and grow stuff so long as you get the drainage right.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00 »
i have acctualy grown on this bed before, we had a bit of heavy rain last week so i dont think thats helped much, just needs a bit lightening with more compost/manure i think.

the biggest problem is the bind weed roots its full of :wacko:

sarajane

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:10 »
Sounds like you have loads of advice and plans there Binner.

Regarding the chooks though.  They are wonderful to have on the allotment, and they do clear weeds wonderfully.  You will however need to see to them early each morning in the winter to check that the water has not frozen, which mine invariably does ,and I have to trot along with warm flasks of water to defrost.  Not a problem for me as I live right by the plots but just something to bear in mind.

xx
Depth to dig for spuds

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 20:41
by sunshineband
xx
Depth for pot leeks

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 12:30
by Goosegirl
xx
The depth of the drought

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 08:52
by diggerjoe
xx
raised bed depth?

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 19:01
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.