Manure in a dalek

• 6 Replies

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
Manure in a dalek
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:45 »
I filled a dalek with manure back in spring and then topped up again around summer as it had shrunk quite a bit.  (It was the only place I had to store any)  I was hoping it'd be fairly well on it's way to being rotted by now but when i looked yesterday it seemed quite wet and still looked like fresh manure, although the straw does seem to have rotted and there was no manure smell to it.  It had shrunk a bit but not as much as before and I had really jumped on it when filling to get as much in as possible :tongue2:.

I have a few questions - first is how do i know when it's ready to use or at least safe to use near plants without burning them? Second - it's quite soggy, is this ok or should I leave the top off the dalek to help dry it out a bit? Finally, is it a good idea to use a dalek composter or would it be better in a wooden compost bin and is it better to leave it loose ie as shovelled or compact it?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure in a dalek
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 13:47 »
First thought - aerobic composting is far quicker than anaerobic, which is what you will have given that you have excluded all air by packing it down firmly.

Second thought - composting works best when the material is evenly moist but not soggy - don't know why yours is still so wet in a dalek with the lid on, and depending on the weather you might find it gets wetter rather than drier with the lid off!  :ohmy:

Good thing about most daleks is you can lift it off, sandpie-style, and have a look at the whole contents - if it looks similar all the way down and the straw has gone it should be OK to use.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pvc

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 16:19 »
I also have a dalek filled with manure which I filled last autumn I left it alone and turned it with with garden fork and just had a look at it the other day now it is black in colour and ready to use why dont you leave it to the spring or use it now and let the winter weather break it down further

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 19:47 »
I filled a dalek last spring so just leaving it to mature...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 20:04 »
Glad to hear i'm not alone in filling a dalek!  Most people on the allotment thought i was a bit odd  :wub:

Thanks for all your advice, i think i may turn it / have a good look all the way through.  It is quite dark, but I may leave it til spring just in case.  I was thinking about using it on my overwintering brassica bed yesterday but opted for growmore just in case.

Know what you mean about the weather JayG!!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 20:10 »
I filled up one of those bulk bags used for building supplies with manure earlier this year. I did pull the flap over the top and put a pallet on top, to stop the dogs eating/rolling in it, but there's gaps for air to get in, and those bulk bags are not exactly air tight. But when I checked it this week, it doesn't look as though it's really rotting at all. It shouldn't be too dry, because I've emptied a watering can in it a couple of times when it was hot. I'll just chuck it on the beds as it is, I think, and let it break down over the winter.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 20:14 »
It will be fine shokky..

xx
EMPTYING THE DALEK

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 22:08
by wighty
clip
Hot bin and Dalek composters

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2023, 00:41
by pepsi100
xx
Slugs in compost Dalek

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 09:07
by JayG
xx
Dalek compost bins

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 01:14
by penninehillbilly

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 28 queries.