Hot bin and Dalek composters

• 2 Replies

pepsi100

Hot bin and Dalek composters
« on: October 23, 2023, 01:14 »
Today it was a sunny day, decided to make the most of it

So took the dalek off the compost and sieved it out, there was a lot that hadnt rotted away, so I moved the dalek to a new position, then mixed everything back into the dalek with the addition of cardboard and paper (shredded)

Then the hotbin, emptied every thing out of the bottom, sieved that as well

Everything I sieved out is put into a rubble bag, not sure where its going yet (more later)

Then in the Hotbin, I put a few sticks and twigs, then this bulking agent (which just seems to be wood chips) then the green stuff and paper/cardboard, mixed up and put in the hotbin and the stuff that hadnt rotted away, 2 x2 liter bottles of hot water to get it started and up to temperature (my idea, it seems to work)

I read about this peat free compost, never tried it though, is there anything I need to add to the compost I took out of the composters ?

I want to ad it to my blueberries and a patch where I grew beet root this year and to mix in with pots that had my tomato's in (I'll cover the pots over winter to stop weed seeds getting in them)

All this wet weather and the slugs have conme out in force, I dont really want to use slug pellets, so anything I can use to catch and kill them ?

Even the birds arent touching them, (upto 3-4 inches long) they are these leopard slugs, that what I call em, they have dark stripes like a leopard)
120842619_3728276517196202_1417365815776343238_n.jpg
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Re: Hot bin and Dalek composters
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 08:35 »
Hiya
you've been busy Pepsi100, sure someone will have another view on this but always thought the leopard ones were ok as don't damage plants too much but if you've got those you've most likely got the other varieties too. Unfortunately I haven't found anything to beat pellets other than picking them out.

pepsi100

Re: Hot bin and Dalek composters
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 00:41 »
Well, I didnt know that, a slug that eats slugs, the thought is still disgusting though

I have a bird that comes down and eats the snails, I find empty shells in places in my garden, it might be a thrush, that is why I am reluctant to use slug/snail pellets

So a way to trap the slugs I would prefer

Yes I have been busy, have to make the most of a sunny day, even though the ground is waterlogged

xx
Council composters...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
question
hmmmm seem to not be using my composters correctly??

Started by Paul Canning on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2022, 02:08
by Rob the rake
xx
Manure in a dalek

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 20:14
by gavinjconway
xx
EMPTYING THE DALEK

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 22:08
by wighty

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 35 queries.