How do I worm my chickens?

• 13 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How do I worm my chickens?
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:18 »
I have been feeding my chicks medicated food but other than DE powder and mite powder they have had nothing in the way of infection/disease/worming control. What methods are there to do this?

kegs

Re: How do I worm my chickens?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25 »
Assuming these are chickens not chicks the easiest method is to my some pellets with Flubenvet already added.  Marriages sell it and you can buy it online if you can't get hold of it locally.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13 »
Thanks for the reply Kegs. I believe the pellets I use have stuff mixed in but I shall double check. Is there a tablet available?

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:11 »
I use flubevent (i think that is how it is spelt) that i got of Amazon, mix it with their food as per instructions and feed it to them, easy as that  :D
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

kegs

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 15:35 »
How old are they Nuzuki?

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 16:24 »
Hi. As I only have three, I mix cold boiled rice with a drop of veg or olive oil added, which they love. I mix this up and then split into 3 small portions (small tablespoon) on a longish tray spaced out. Like a plant pot drip tray but the long ones .  I then add a pinch of Flubenvet to each portion and they have this for breakfast before they get anything else. That way they eat it all up, then they can have their pellets ad lib. I do this for 7 consecutive days and I find it works well for mine.
Maybe one might get a bit more than another but on the whole over 7 days it seems to work out.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29 »
Sorry for the late reply. They are 12weeks and 17weeks old all in the same run/coop. I shall grab some of this flubenvet stuff although I think the chick crumb or layers pellets are medicated it doesnt say whether it helps with worming.

kegs

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 13:17 »
I'm confused Nuzuki.   :wacko: (It doesn't take much  ;))

What are they eating at the moment?   The 12 week old should be on growers pellets by now rather than chick crumb and the 17 week olds if they are already laying should be on layers.  The medication you mention which you can buy in chick crumb is probably coccidiostat (ACS) to help prevent against coccidiosis.   So if you want to treat them with Flubenvet to prevent worms then buy either pellets or medication and use this for one week two or three times a year and make sure you withhold treats so they consume the correct amount of medicated food.   I hope that makes sense.  :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38 »
Hi Kegs, the older chickens are on layers pellets now and the younger lot are on growers pellets. I was putting a pinch of chick crumb mixed in with the growers just to get rid of the vast amount I have left over but have stopped now. I wasnt mixing it in with the layers pellets. I bought some cider apple vinegar a couple of days so shall be using that shortly to get their immunity up for the winter

kegs

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45 »
Ah I see.  It's Marriages pellets that has the Flubenvet already added and if you can't get hold of it locally then try on line.  I get mine from farmandpetplace.co.uk

JaneS

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 19:08 »
That website is out of stock :(

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 21:52 »
Ive added apple cider vinegar to all their drinkers today so that should help sort them out. Im using haygates pellets and they all seem really healthy or maybe ive just been lucky so far. Im off to wilkos tomorrow so shall see what I can buy to keep my chicks n chickens in top shape over winter.

B_hibbert

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 20:18 »
Hi Nuzuki,

I'm new to having chickens, what is the apple cider vinegar for?

How is it given?

Hope to hear back.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 21:58 »
Just answered your other post on this subject Ben!  :) :)

xx
Do we need to worm our chickens?

Started by Neil Doncaster on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 08:32
by carolbriar
xx
Possible tape worm in chickens

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 21:19
by gibbo
xx
to worm or not to worm???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 22:36
by devonbarmygardener
xx
should I re worm ?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 21:04
by SoniaBA

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.