any idea what breed these are?

• 9 Replies

toasted

any idea what breed these are?
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:29 »
ive just been given 2 young chickens as they werent being looked after that well
i think the brown one might be a warren cockerel as its comb is red and it has a slight bump on each leg where its spurs would be,plus it has yellow legs
im not sure of the grey/white one , it has slate grey legs
at a guess id say they were around 7-9 weeks old
has anyone got any idea what they might be?
chook1pic2.jpg

toasted

Re: any idea what breed these are?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30 »
and this one
chook2.jpg

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 13:37 »
The grey one has a Wyandotte shape, if really small possibly a bantam.  The brown one looks like my Bovan Goldlines apart from the yellow legs.  Possibly a bit of legbar in there somewhere.  The nodules on the legs are there on both hen and cockerel.  It looks older than the grey one but does have well developed comb/wattles.  My goldlines were already laying when I got them at 20 weeks so they develop faster than pure breeds.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

toasted

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 14:50 »
cheers anhbuc
yea the white`ish one does look alot like my old gold laced orpington shape, the head does too
so thatl be interesting to see what she looks like when grown
fingers crossed there both layers if the little nodules not a indication of sex although i was kinda looking forward to it being a cockerel so i could fertilise some eggs for next year.
il just keep a eye out for a free cockerel when the time comes

there certainly enjoying themselves and loving the propper food instead of kebab and other junk they were being fed, they are both pretty tame though, the brown one loves sitting on my shoulder, no doubt il be adding a h to the sitting soon enough lol

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 18:02 »
It is shocking that they have been fed that.  It is actually against the law to feed them anything from a kitchen.  If you hear of them getting any more hens and doing the same you would be better to report them.

Glad they have got a loving home now.  I hope they turn out to be what you want.   ;)

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 19:15 »
Oh they are lovely. It makes me so sad and very angry when I hear of this kind of thing.

Glad they will be better looked after now, no animal deserves to suffer.

toasted

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 20:28 »
i dont think she had them very long like possibly a few days but i could be wrong
but people really should read up on at least the basics before they go out of there way to get chickens
it may be against the law to feed them your own kitchen waste but theyl happily let you feed them gmo feed which can give them cancer

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 21:22 »
its a load of cods wollop for your average backyard keeper, but its to do with dodgy farming practices - BSE, SCRAPIE etc.

Yeh, DEFRA  etc allow all other kinds of things to go on, pump animals for human consumption full of goodness knows what but give your hens a bit of cabbage stalk from sunday dinner prep and you're shot at dawn.

toasted

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 21:51 »
yea i think its a good idea for commercial poultry so refuse collection waste doesnt get fed to them.
but id never break a law like that but sometimes when i cook the chooks too much rice il share any waste between the family and have a curry the night before we feed the chooks lol

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:34 »
Not too sure what the little grey one is but the boy looks like a RIR to me.

xx
any idea what breed/sex this fellow is?

Started by organicbeanful on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 20:41
by bantam novice
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Any idea

Started by Country Bill on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 18:19
by slowef
xx
Just an idea

Started by amj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 18:01
by amj

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.