Squidgy crop????

• 25 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Squidgy crop????
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:37 »
Around a week or so ago i noticed that one of my six hybrids crops was very squashy in comparison to the 5 other girls, whose crops were like firm tennis balls.  Following morning all had empty crops, but have continued to monitor the squidgy one.  She is totally fine in herself, eating perfectly well, scratting about and doing all the usual hen things, and also laying okay. Every night her crop is full but spongy whereas the others feel fairly firm....always empty the following morning....

My question is then, do i need to worry about this, as i dont think it is sour crop - having said that how do I tell if it is - I've read quite a few books, but none of them have gone into detail, i.e the smell - should i smell something when I'm close to her beak, or is it only when I've tipped her up that the fluid that comes out smells.  I havent done this up to press, because her crop feels empty in the mornings, and she is behaving normal/no sign of discomfort.

Wondered if it was squidgy because she was a big drinker, but have watched this, and she drinks no more than the others.

Sorry to be long winded.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Squidgy crop????
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41 »
if her breath doesn't smell then it isn't sour crop. She may be drinking a lot more than the others for her crop to be squidgy - what are her poos like?
Have you read this  thread?
Staffies are softer than you think.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03 »
Her poos that I've seen her doing are normal now that I've got used to the initial shock of the caecal ones, ( I was straight on this site panicking!!)...i have the occasional runny ones, but mainly firm ones with a decoration of white on top....have read the link thankyou, but none of her symptoms are fitting, which is good.... The runny poos i have are of exactly the same contents as the others, just a bit loose...if it was the same hen, (i.e squidgy crop one), but still  no external signs of feeling ill, what course of action should i take.....

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59 »
the reason I asked about her poos was in-case she had a kidney problem, but as they are normal then that doesn't seem to be the problem - she just must like drinking alot. Don't fret about her just make sure she has plenty of access to food and that the others aren't blocking her from getting to it  :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 13:36 »
Thankyou for putting my mind at rest.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12 »
Morning....I have continued to monitor my squidgy cropped girl, and she seems to have gradually become very lethargic since i posted my initial question....I am at a loss as what to do with her, and hoping someone can come up with some suggestions.
She's been keeping herself to herself, frequently hunched up with eyes closed, but at the same time up until this morning, has been showing an interest in food....noticed she was drinking far more than the others.
She is breathing okay, but noticed yesterday that her poo was quite creamy and runny....I did give them all some yoghurt/olive oil mixed into pellets, so presumed it was that.
This morning when the other 5 charged out of the coop, she hung back and wasnt bothered about coming out.....I've checked her crop and that was totally flat....she came out and went straight to the water and had 4 large gulps.....no interest in pellets, which i soak and serve as a moist porridge....she's had a pick and a poke at a few mealworms, and is now hunched up by a shrub, with eyes shut.
What things do I need to be checking.....Again sorry to be long winded...

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:32 »
That link is very interesting and being a relatively new to chickens i have learnt something new.
Pull up a perch!!

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15 »
The link was very useful in that i believe I was able to confirm that my hen didnt have any of these ailments....Any suggestions would be most appreciated, or things i can try....

As it stands now, she's not really eating, most of the time is hunched up with eyes closed, is drinking okay, crop feels empty, her bottom is clean but is producing creamy runny droppings, breathing okay.....

Thanks in advance.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19 »
Hello Loretta,
When was she last wormed and with what?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37 »
Hi....she was last wormed 3 months ago, and not sure if I'm doing it again too soon, but started them again on Saturday.....am using Marriages pellets with Flubenvet.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 15:27 »
Hope your girl gets better soon loretta keep us posted :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 15:40 »
Thanks andy......think most members away today, as nobody coming up with suggestions....she's been hunched up stood at the back of the run almost all day now...no interest even with mealworms....other 5 seem to be leaving her alone, and in and amongst the rain showers, there out scratting about.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 16:30 »
When did she last lay an egg? was it a complete egg or was it broken, have you had a gentle feel to see if she has an egg stuck?

If you think she has an egg stuck then bring her inside and place her in a bowl or sink of warm water for at least 30 minutes (or ideally longer), this will help her muscles relax and able to pass the egg. Then blow dry her on a warm not hot setting before sending her out again.
If she passed a broken egg then get her to a vets as soon as possible.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 17:05 »
Thankyou for your reply joyful....I have 6 hens, and Thursday last week I had half dozen eggs...have had between 4 and 5 a day since.. and certain she hasnt layed one today....I've just given her a thorough inspection, and cant feel anything....checked her vent, which pulsated when i lifted her feathers, vent clean, but noticed a sloppy poo where she's been positioned at the back of her run...she's just managed to eat a little bit of egg with corn, and I've syringed 5ml of sugar water into her beak.
Would it be obviously noticeable if she had an egg stuck, or one that had broken....just in case I'm not checking properly....

kegs

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 18:22 »
How old is she?  Have there been any recent changes?  Any new chickens added or new plants added to the garden that might be poisonous?   Sorry, not much help here, just trying to think outside the box.  Hope she starts eating and drinking soon.

xx
Squidgy bottom!

Started by westie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
sour crop

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 23:06
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 37 queries.